Create a web site for free

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by MickyBobs, Aug 3, 2008.

1. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

And yes, it came today (there was a small delay as they'd run out of stock and had to re-order), a boxed Education version of Adobe CS3 Web Standard, including Dreamweaver CS3, Flash CS3 Pro, Fireworks CS3 and Contribute CS3.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  2. chetan.crasta

chetan.crasta Bit Poster

Wanted to delete this post - but I can't find a way of doing it. My actual post comes next.

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  3. chetan.crasta

chetan.crasta Bit Poster

Having a web site of your own is very useful when you are learning. After all, managing web sites is what you'd be doing once you get the cert - you might as well get a head start on that.
    As for free hosts, there are www.geocities.com and Google Apps - www.google.com/a
    I haven't used WYSIWYG web editors for a few years now - unless things have improved drastically recently, I think they are a waste of time. They don't give you clean code - you always need to hand-edit the page. This robs you of most of the time you thought you'd save by using the editor. Besides, using a WYSIWYG editor makes you lose touch with the actual HTML.
    Notepad++ or Bluefish is what I would recommend - these are HTML-friendly text editors.

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  4. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

If I can add my two penny's worth.

Just starting to refresh my web programming skills, and as noted earlier, was advised to use a basic text editor (in my case Notepad) and I can honestly say that it is well worth using this as opposed to using a WYSIWYG (at least for learning).

This option suits me better and everything sinks in easier and I seriously recommend this route to anyone learning the basics (Html, CSS etc).

Davidus

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Good advice. I prefer to get stuck in at the deep end too. It gives you a better understanding of what you're doing (although it may be slower). I use notepad for almost everything I'm doing (from writing java code to CSS) and advice this method over WYSIWYG editors.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA