1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create a direct shortcut to network adapters - Vista & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Modey, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Something that has irrated me for a good while (but not enough to do something about it :) ) was having to go through the network and sharing centre nonsense to get to the network adapters.

I was trying to create a shortcut earlier to do exactly this, but ended up sailing in the failboat instead. :) Until I found this guide anyway :-

http://www.tweakvista.com/Article39156.aspx

If you look right at the end of the guide it also shows you a way to pick the common network style icons for the shortcut as well. If you don't change it, it looks just like the folder/explorer icon when on the taskbar in Windows 7.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah - it absolutely sucked when they removed the 'show icon in notification area when connected' checkbox. I still hate the new-style start menu too.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

You can always just highlight the folder address in the address bar and drag it to the desktop.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing
    WIP: 70-291 | 70-293 | 70-294 | 70-297
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Tried that, and it didn't work as a shortcut. The solution I linked however, does.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada