CRC Error on install of unreal tournament DVD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fanatical, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Ok I've googled this error to hell and back and found at least 5 different ways of sorting it..

1) it's my ram
    2)my IDE needs to be set to DMA not PIO
    3)my IDE needs to be set to PIO not DMA (wtf!)
    4)DVD is damaged or corrupt
    5)It's the install goblins up to no good...

[​IMG]

Please guys, whats up?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

are you running it straight from DVD? is the disc free from dirt, grim, and other crap?

3. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Brand new, unblemished DVD straight from the case. I'm sending it back as a precaution anyway but if I could get it to work before I post it i'd be a happy bunny...8)

I kow CRC is a checksum error and all that jazz I just don't see why it happens. I've installed stuff off of CD's and DVD's before now. Having read the stuff written by other people it seems that the CD/DVD often works on other machine which I haven't done but assume will be true.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say most likely a manufacturing error. It is also possible that it has anti-piracy coding which may have foxed your drive.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Can you try installing it on another pc to rule out a faulty disc? If it works on another pc, then your drive could be on its way out.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

That happens with some games and I am yet to find out why these random checksum errors occur. My most recent example is with Toca Race Driver 3 -after reinstalling XP from scratch it is now telling me that one of the .cab files is corrupted! On the old installations there was no problem.

Have you tried ignoring the error? It might still install correctly.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  7. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

If I ignore it goes to the next file and then has a critical error at me. I'm pretty sure it's not the drive as Ive installed other programs useing it. I've also tried turning off my Mcaffee virusscan incase it was that and no joy.

Goign to try uinistalling anything that was copied and then try the above step and see what happens...

8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Have you got the latest Winzip 11 installed?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

fixed by pulling all the files across to the HDD and then running setup from there....

thing is I want to know why this worked? What is it about pulling the files from the disc that creates the error that installing from the hard drive doesn't? My "theory" was that since the extraction of the files was from the same medium then the checksum either doesn't happen or ill always be indentical....