CRB Checks as an individual

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Feb 2, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Can you get Enhanced Disclosure checks done as an individual? I'm wanting to do this as I'm thinking about going back to contracting and wouldn't mind having this on my CV to open up opportunities to work for Government and in schools etc. From what I've seen so far the answer is no. Anyone know differently???

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Mark L

Mark L Bit Poster

The CRB Website says no, you can't...

http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=381

WIP: CIW Foundation
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think the CRB check is only valid where you are working, it's not transferable from site to site if they are different employers. I had to have 2 perhaps 3 done in the past.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Only valid for the particular school i was working at. When i moved to another i was told i needed the check again.

Was told though that we need to make sure that contractors are CRB cleared or we can't leave them anywhere alone at school. I find this a bit silly if a contractor has to work in dozens of schools. Surely having a contractor CRB cleared is next to impossible if they can not carry this across with them. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. michael78

The system just feels very restrictive if your a contractor. This basically closes a lot of opportunities for me working for some government sectors (which is what I mainly want it for and not for schools). Bit gutted as there are some well paid contracts that pop up from time to time. Thing is they ask for people already Security Cleared so they must be transferable to some degree.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I don't think the CRB is security clearance though. I think the security clearance spoken of on some mod type posts is completely different. Perhaps someone else on here who has that type of clearance could clarify and let you know if it is something you could get done yourself.

7. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

I am cleared up to DV which is pretty high but i am from a military background and mine dont expire for another year and a bit. But for civillians providing what contract you do,some will provide it for you but they usually take some time to get, have you tried websites such as -

serco
    la international

just a couple i can think off, if its SC you are going for its pretty stright foward, if it is DV its done by a interview, its pretty easy to get as long as you are honest but its quite a long process.

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  8. michael78

It wouldn't be at DV level as I was told that costs around 5k to do. For most Government agencies I think it's just an enhanced disclosure that you need. Seems stupid to me you can't get one done as an individual.

9. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

The disclosure check is suppose is to ensure that anyone hired is not a potential risk. Working around vulnerable people it would be a risk to hire someone without appropriate checks on their background. If you were to contract out to various employers, i am not sure how they could be sure the check was still relevant.

If you had a CRB check last month and then this month you are convicted of a sexual crime. The employer would not know if they were to rely on a CRB "clearance" check that was done months prior. They need to have a fresh check done whenever they hire someone. That way they are free from accusations of negligence. I doubt it could work any other way. But hey, i could be wrong i am no expert but that's how i see it working.