Crazy Plan?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by flex22, Sep 14, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I only work 4 hours a day, Mon - Friday but my job is really doing my head in and I hate the early starts.

I've got myself a crazy plan in my head of giving up work and studying for my Certs full-time.

I know 4 hours is very little compared to what some people have to work, but it breaks my day up and I just feel that my flow of concentration is always broken.

I awake in the morning ready to study but then I've gotta trudge off to work instead.

I know 100% that I would make far better progress if I could study full-time.

I'm not far off taking my 210 and 215 exams, so once they're out of the way, I could blast straight into the next exams.

I've been working it out and I think that I could last about 3 months before I'd have to start eating grass.

I reckon I could have all the core exams out of the way by then, working full-time on them.Like I say 210 and 215 are pretty much sorted.

I know theres a possibility of me failing those exams, so maybe I should take those first and then give up work.

I'm applying for a job at the mo but I've been told that because I don't drive, my chances aren't very good :(

Has anyone given up work before to study certs full-time.
    I'm not doing this out of lazyness, I'm just thinking that anyone would give up work if they could.I'm doing this to concentrate on what I really want to do, it's not to just mess around and have a holiday.

My work gets me down and this affects my study.I believe that this plan will give me an incentive, (well I'm not too keen on eating grass to be honest.

Is this a crazy plan?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yeah...it's crazy (ok, you asked). Then of course, I'm married with three kids, so I don't play around with a secure income anymore than I have to. If three months go by and, even assuming you pass your certs, you can't get a job, what then? Eat grass?

This will probably sound harsh, but I can't feel to sympathic for your plight. I went to school for over two years full-time (12 to 15 credits) plus worked full-time (8 to 10 hours a day, six days a week), studied and sometimes let my family forget who I was for days at a time. Still, I earned my degree and three certifications on top of it.

I still don't have the luxury of studying when I want or as long as I want. That's the nature of life, flex. My suggestion would be to hang in there. You still have most of the day after you get off work. Also, a break in your work might look unfavorably on your resume. I think potential employers will look more kindly on a fellow that worked and studied and showed drive, quite frankly.

Just my two centavos, flex. No hard feelings.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Of course you don't.I don't expect sympathy from anyone.

Why?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Why?

Well, I lost my original career and needed another one to support my family. To that end, I took a "temporary" job with the Postal Service that requires I work long hours for little pay and no benefits. Since we can't live like this forever and because my wife is killing herself at her slave job, I'd like to make a better life for us. Pursuing a goal almost always requires sacrifice. Now that I'm out of school, I have somewhat more decent hours and am able to see my family a lot more.

Even during school, I managed to actually have a relationship and home life...but I have to admit, it was sometimes cut down to the bare minimum. There were occasions when I managed on about 3 to 6 hours of sleep a night just so I could work, go to school, study and still be with them.

I will say that, of those people I've worked for during this process, each and every one of them have admired the drive and dedication involved in what I've been doing. I don't say this because I think I'm such a great guy. I'm just an ordinary person trying to do a job and be a good husband and father.

I say all this because, if your goal is to build a career, You might be better served by continuing your job and your studies simultaneously. If I could work only four hours a day and meet my financial committments, that would be fantastic.

Please keep in mind, you asked for opinions and those who know me know I'm not particularly shy about expressing them. However, since you asked, you also have the option to disregard any responses and do what's best in your life. No hard feelings either way, flex. Your lifestyle may me a lot more condusive to living without a steady income than mine (it's not that I live such an expensive lifestyle...just that the family has gotten used to eating).

I'm really not out to offend you or upset you and I heartily apologize if I've done either.

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

You'll have to do better than that to offend me mate.

I'm a scouse half-breed lol :D

Seriously Trip, I'm not offended at all.In fact, THANKYOU for taking the time out to respond, I'm grateful.

I don't mean to say I can read your mind or anything, but I could have written your responses for you.Not word for word, but I'd have got the general idea.

You see I knew you'd write about the fact that you wanted an improved life for yourself and your family, because thats what everyone aspires to, who has a family.

That is your purpose, your drive.

This is were I'm lacking.You see, I'm doing this for myself, I haven't got a kid to look after and cloth.I don't support my parents.

In some ways I wish I had that pressure/ goal which was my overriding drive.

My problem is that I don't care much for myself.I mean I need something else, other than myself, to be the beneficiary of my actions.I suppose I'm kind of selfless like that.

I do enjoy my luxuries and things that money brings, but I'm not very materialistic.My goal could never be a fancy var or something, I'm into being happy and fulfilled that I'm doing what I enjoy.

I've tried to often imagine that my parents are somehow unable to work and that it's only me who can help them by completing this course.

That sounds weird, but it does help with drive/goal.The thing is, I know this isn't true really, so theres no pressure.

I think what it boils down to is that I've never had any major responsibilites, (kids, house).

It's not that I'm not aware of the consequences.Like you Trip, I wouldnt give up work if my children depended on it, of course not.

What I'm saying is that I havent got that feeling of urgeny/responsibility or drive.I'm not seeing results from my actions, so I feel like it doesn't matter sometimes.I'm never held to account.If I don't study today, then who cares, nobody is the answer.

That's where the giving up wotk came in.This would put me under pressure to perform.I always seem to come up with the goods when I have to.Maybe 3 months though is too little time.

I've always been like that though.I leave everything until the last minute because I have no sense of urgency when I have time limit.It's like, if you said I had until 2010 to compltete the course, then I would probably take that long, because I think that that's how long it should take, if you see.It's stupid I know, and I really want to change.

Nothing is there to make me feel guilty if I don't study.I know this should come from within, and sometimes it does, but not often enough.

I need to somehow hone in on an overriding goal.

Maybe the project I'm about to start will give me the drive and responsibility that I need.

Thanks!

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I can see your point. I didn't get this focused until marriage and children. When I was in my early to mid twenties, I was pretty much footloose and fancy free. It was tough for me to focus on a goal and stick with it because, like you said, I was only responsible for myself. In retrospect, I wish I'd been this driven when I was younger. It's still tough now to keep a sharp focus and sometimes I become distracted. If I'd developed my drive at your age, it would have become habit by now.

All I can say is that you'll make life in the long run easier on yourself if you set and achieve your goals at this stage in life...when you don't have so many distractions and other committments. Besides, girls really like a guy who's gotten his stuff together early in life. :D

7. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I have to say I can feel sympathtic towards you situation Flex, we all learn in a different way and I can understand how your job would get you down and affect your study. However a 3 month timescale before you have to buy the book "101 ways to cook grass" is a massive gamble and one I would probably not recommend. Is there no way you could change jobs to something else that would not hinder your outlook and therfore your studies too much?

The final decision must be yours alone but it would be putting a lot of pressure on that you could probably do without.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'll stick with it and just go for jobs as they arise.

I may have a chance on this latest job, who knows.

Trip, I was going to mention the age thing as well, but I forgot earlier.

I mean it's a fact, it happens to everyone, we all age.

The thing is at 23 I just think I have all the time in the world and evrythings ma(wiggly n)ana.

I always do this.I look back over the last few months and I think, "why did I waste that time, how stupid I didn't accomplish more" but then I just go away and act the same.

I'm going to carry on working.My 3 month crazy plan would probably stress me out too much.If I had 5 or 6 months then I'd definitely do this.

I've just had a kip (English for forty winks Trip) and I starting dreaming of ways that could get me more focused.

I imagined that I was in a white room.Completely white.The room was about the size of a standard living room.

Anyhow, in the room were all of the materials I currently have, and also a laptop, connected to the internet.

Suddenly a voice is heard, which says

"You can't see outside this boxed room, but I will tell you where you are.You are floating through space.You are heading away from your destination and towards a grim and dark galaxy.Every time you learn something new (pass a test), a force on the room will send you back towards your destination planet.However, this will only happen for a while.The dark galaxy will pull you back again.To prevent yourself from becoming lost in this wilderness galaxy, you must continue to learn, thus sending the box back to your destination planet.Once you have learnt enough, you will eventually return to your planet.At your planet, you will be able to use the knowledge that you have learnt.
    If you do not learn something for a while then you will go pass the point of no return, and the dark galaxy will swollow you up.
    The choice is yours"

(No, I haven't taken anything)

It just got me thinking though.It's quite a good comparison to the real world, in a way.

At the moment I reckon I'm about inbetween the planet and the dark galaxy.I've hit a meteor storm and am trying to stear my way through.

Time to hit the rocket boosters I think.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That was great, flex. I like it. In a wierd sort of way, it reminded me of a sequence in DragonballZ where Goku is on a spaceship, training under 100 Gs (that would flatten the most hardy person), on his way to the planet Namek and his battle with the deadly Freeza (ok, so I used to watch Cartoon Network with the kids).

We're all on a journey to some destination and we all try our best to prepare for when we get there and be ready for the challenges we will face.

10. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

Cut yourself some slack Flex, your doing just fine. (Your only 23!)

Three months is cutting it a bit fine but you should go with your gut feelings sometimes. If you think you can better achieve your goals, then go for it. (If it all goes pear shaped you still probably will be able to find another job.)

Agree that taking time out may look a bit poor on the CV, but it does show you’re committed to achieving the certification.

Like you I could not give the studying my best shot while working so decided to take the plunge. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (After all I’ve now got a A+ & N+ to show for it, and its not been easy.)

I hear you saying: “this blokes a nutter!… but would not suggest anything that I would not be prepared to do myself. About a year ago I had a full time job (that I hated) and still have a wife and child to support. We have no money coming and we can last about a year before we “eat grass.”

I’m now 45, so I know jobs will be harder to find and I realise I have probably left it too late to make a career change but what the heck, might as well give it a go…. lifes too short and you can’t live it twice.

Agree with tripwire when he says that we are all on a journey…but since we all have bought the ticket we may as well enjoy the ride.

11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I was once in the same situation as you Flex I think I was 22 when I decided that working in a warehouse just was not for me. I quit. I was still living with my mother so she helped out to certain degree with supporting me but she could only go so far and I had to work hard to find a job and was lucky enough to land one as an IT trainer, but I had done some serious study first. If you take a look in the "what do you do" thread you'll get the picture.

I worked herd at my study and was lucky to land a job but I think it happened mostly because of my determination. What I'm saying is if your situation can support you and you done have the commitments now then you may never get the chance again. Your world may be full of commitments soon and you just won’t have the opportunity again.

If it feels right then do it, but make sure your 100% committed to getting your training done, set yourself targets and don’t sit on your ass thinking about doing it, just do it. You HAVE to be totally focused on your goal and not just doing this because you hate your job. When I quit my job I had totally planned my route.

Talk with your family and friends about it, make sure they are prepared for what your about to do. I'm lucky enough to have supportive family and friends that I can lean on in hard times and trust me I had to lean on them, so make sure they’ll be there.

Best of luck on your decision and rest assured I will support you through the power of the internet.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  12. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Dragonball Z

Good toon, however they do like to draw out the battles a little too long

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

But I prefer sitting down while I'm reading, oooh :(

Thanks everybody.A big TA :!: for all your advice.

I had a remarkable cognitive philosophical brainwave while riding home from work.:hhhmmm

It's simmering away in my brain and hopefully the full meaning will be revealed some time today.Maybe I'll have a kip and it'll show itself.

TA :!:

14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That statement has been playing on my mind.You see, by the time February comes I'll be starting to pay off my Career Development Loan which I needed for my course.Plus I'll be paying off all of my current debts.

Basically I'll definitely need to be working full-time by then, and I'll still be struggling then.

I've been trying to work it out and I think that I may need another small loan.This seems crazy at first, taking a loan out just beofre quitting your job.
    The thing is, I could pay the minimum loan amount each month using my current savings and the loan can be used to pay off the other loans minimum monthly payments.This would keep me going until at least January, possibly February.

I don't mind living on nothing, Christmas can wait another year, I'm too busy getting my life sorted to be worried about doing what others want.

I was thinking about Si's statement, and it's so true.I've never really thought about it but the fact is that unless I ever work for myself, I may never get another chance to take a few months off to study, soley focused on one goal.

I'm fortunate that I can even consider this option.I'm really starting to feel that I need this kind of deadline to get me moving.

So what if there's a gap in my CV.I'm taking the time out to study, not have a long holiday.I'll explain this to a future employer.I'd have thought that people would see it as admirable to give up work and money, soley to study for your goal.

You're a good man Si :thumbleft

15. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Seems that your leanings change on this from almost day to day Flex. Would it be possible for you to take a week or even 2 off work, use those to study fairly hard as a sort of "taster" of what you are considering? This may also help you decide if this is the right route for you to take, it will also reduce any current work related stress that may be colouring your judgement.

Just a thought!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  16. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

You read my mind Luton.

I'm going to check tomorrow if next week is free.

Your right.I need to test this first.

Thanks!

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Another thought flex.

Can you change the hours that you work? You mention that you wake and would like to study. Can you switch the hours from the morning to the afternoon or evening?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Too late I'm afraid Nugget.

I gave up work on Friday and am now a full time student.

I've jumped off my slow boat to China and am now in a luxury speedboat.

The luxury being that I'm fortunate to even be able to do this, even if it is only for 2 or 3 months.

I've gotten more done this last couple of days then I would have done in a week when working.I'm also applying for jobs online and looking in papers, as I can give job searching more time.

A little scary at the mooment knowing that I have no income but it's certainly a good driving factor to get my MCP's and to apply for jobs.

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

GOOD LUCK, FLEX !!!

I'm sure we're ALL right behind you 110% :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK, since you've taken the plunge the best of luck to you. I hope it works out.

Greg

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685