CPU vs GPU...check this out

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by jiggy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

guys have a look at this for a visual demonstation of the differences between how a cpu and gpu works...very cool

http://www.trustedreviews.com/graphics/news/2008/08/29/nVision-2008--Mythbusters-/p1

:D

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  2. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

hehe, that this really quite quite cool

3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

That is pretty cool, although I cant see the video of it whilst at work.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yeah, I concur, very cool.

Fergal - take your laptop in with you and use the company's wireless connection (if possible). That's what I do - unrestricted net access at work - bliss.

:p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Fergal1982

unfortunately not. All web access is routed through a proxy, which is websensed.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. AArcher

AArcher Nibble Poster

not got a clue what was going on there but it looked great

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA 2006 A+
  7. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Ah good ol websense, I'm actually the websense admin here at my company, excluded myself just now to watch the vid :) very cool.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Qs

All web access?

We use a proxy here (and have a group policy set up inside IE to disable the connections tab).

...just use Firefox or an alternate browser and route it outside of the proxy instead. :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. Fergal1982

I dont believe that can be done. The internet connection itself it routed through the proxy. You have to go through it in order to reach the outside world.

All of our users are able to get into the proxy settings tab in IE, and they are all able to disable/change it (if there is ever a need to make changes). But without the setting, there is no way to get outside the network.

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Same as Qs with our setup - everything goes through a proxy, which is also Websensed (and I'm not the admin for it *sob*). But we have an unfiltered (secured) ADSL wireless link for any clients that are in the building and require access to the 'webs.

Thankfully, I've been slacking off on annual leave for 2 weeks and can watch it without a problem 8) :rolleyes:. Cool video :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Qs

[​IMG]

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unless you're the admin, that sorta stuff can get you into some serious trouble... I've seen people lose employment for doing things like that. Is it worth it?

The moment you get caught is typically when you think there's no way they can detect you. Just sayin'.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and you too, ya hippie... I'd hate to see you perform a "career-limiting activity"...

At my last employer, we were considering installing wireless access for our patients to use in the waiting room. I asked my IT manager, "But what if employees bring in their USB wireless NICs and plug them into our network to get around our filtering?" He said, "I'll just have to kill' em."

We *really* pay attention to those sort of breaches... so guys, please don't think you're "slick enough" to "get around" the security measures we put in place... we can still log traffic at the gateway, and we can still sniff packets on the wire, among other things.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Arroryn

Don't worry Flameforker, I'm not being slick. I sit about fifteen feet away from the IT manager and the Info Security Officer - we're all in the same room - it's hard to hide browsing habits in such close proximity :)

It never actually happens very often, as I normally can't be bothered to hike my lappy to and from work. But as long as it never ever ever ever comes into contact with our Corporate network (the client ADSL is a totally separate connection) then I won't get into trouble for it.

15. Qs

I am an admin in the company. :) I'd tell Arroryn off though, she's not. :p

EDIT - (My boss was quite pleased I managed to get around it weirdly enough. He wanted to do the same himself. Go figure *shrugs*).

16. Arroryn

I know the domain admin password, does that count?

we're hijacking another thread again, aren't we?

17. Qs

So... I hear that quad core CPUs are a better choice than duos when video encoding. yadda yadda

I saved it! :)

18. toadmann

toadmann New Member

Awesome!!