CPU troubleshooting

Discussion in 'A+' started by Bambino1506, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Guys

Just finishing reading the A+ certification for dummies book, yes I know bad buy :biggrin

There's some advice on troubleshooting an apparent cpu issue which seems strange and wanted to know if u would do the same.

Symptoms: System boots ok but freezes consistently when running a certain application.

What would your first port of call be ?

Personally I'd try uninstalling the application and reisnstalling a known good copy of it...

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To tell the truth, the first port of call would be to run 2 utilities called Quicktech Pro & Ultra-X Winstress Test. If there is any hardware problems it should show up (with the software version, the hardware version is better, but don't have that :( ). If it comes back all ok, then a software rebuild or repair.

Probably not by the book, but with all the work we do, we all have to change our "working" habits and how we diagnose problems :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Interesting question, I am not sure about the utility tools Wagnerk mentioned above.

But I would use the Computer management console, it's mentioned in A+ book and can be found in XP by doing a right click on My Computer

In the Computer Management Console you can see all the error reports of each application. It should show a report of which application failed to run.

Also there's the administrative tools under Control Panel.

These would be my first port of call before installing more software.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Event logs, system restore, reinstall app, job done :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Pretty much what sparky, ucheeckymoney, and wagnerk said. If all that still doesnt resolve the prob, then starting looking into tools that test your hardware.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Google 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies.

The dummies book said to start testing the CPU with hardware diagnosis tools straight away....I thought it seemed hasty.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes i think it is hasty, especially as the vast majority of lock ups/crashes are OS/Software/Malware related :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)