CPU temperature again

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itbookham, Dec 15, 2007.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

I've just fitted an Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz D 336 LGA775 processor on a Gigabyte motherboard. The CPU temperature is showing 83 degrees celsius in the BIOS PC Health Status with a CPU fan speed of 3500 RPM. Is this temperature normal? I cannot find anything on the Intel website? There are no case fans fitted, will another fan be beneficial? Many thanks.

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes another case fan would help.

Are you using the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu?

Alot of people including me buy better cooling like artic cooling pro 7, the coolin fan you get with cpu should be ok for normal use but not for heavy usage.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi, yes it was a boxed retail version, so the fan/heatsink came with the CPU. I have set the CPU Warning temperature to 90 degrees celsius in BIOS. There seems to be no point in setting it to anything lower. Do these CPUs have some kind of internal automatic shutdown facility in case of overheating?

WIP: A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the shutdown is when you get the bsod then auto reboot, on the other post Rafaz has said he had a faulty mobo which was display in correct temperatures (have a read)

If extra cooling does not work then it could very well be the mobo.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

If you're still taking your readings from HMonitor and there is no sensor on the board available for Temp3, you may very well get improper readings.

I left a link for a motherboard manual in your other post. Hopefully it will help with the first machine.

Good Luck.