CPU specific question...

Discussion in 'A+' started by Malnomates, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I've recently come across a question regarding real mode,286 real mode and 386 real mode.

While I chose the correct answer (more luck than judgement in this case) I'm a little lost here.I've either missed the subject in my study book or I was thinking about beer and ladies at the time.Either way could someone put me out of my misery and help me explain what these modes actually are?

Apologies in advance if this turns out to be a noob question.. :oops:

ps..I don't want to provide a spoiler for those that have yet to answer this question in their A+ syllabus so maybe it would be better to pm me the answer or put up a link that we can choose to use.Thanks again.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Take a look here for more information on processor run modes.

From memory though, does the run mode that the processor operates at not depend on which OS you are running on it, and at which stage of the boot process the PC is at?

:blink

3. Malnomates

thanks for the link.I'll start deciphering that lot as soon as my brain comes back to room temperature. :blink

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There is a question in the review section in the Meyers book that asked about modes, but no reference to them in the text of that chapter!

However - if you read the errata for that book Meyers points this out, gives a pointer to where some info may be found, and then says that modes are not in the A+ exam anyway!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Malnomates

lol,i just spent hours trying to cram pages and pages of unwanted jargon into my head and it's not in the exam... :cry:

Seems like there's an almost impossible amount of info to try and retain in memory to 'prepare' thoroughly for these exams,not that this will deter me mind you.Now,back to the task in hand... :helpread :helpread .