CPU Setting??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Mar 24, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Another thing i wanted to make sure of as well was- for the DVD+RW drive and the hard drive, am i best using both IDE cables from the motherboard, setting them both to master??

Or use just one IDE cable, and set one as the master and the other as slave??

Cheers

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Keep them on separate cables, every time!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Also, (sorry for all the questions) I have a molex connector coming from the front of my ATX case, anyone know what this is for?? or where i have to connect it??

4. hbroomhall

Trace it back. I'll bet that it is a fan power connector.

Harry.

5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I'd love to trace it back, its kinda hard to see where it goes too!
    I have to usual USB cable connectors coming from the fron, and sound cables etc, But this molex connector?? I have no idea what it is for/where it goes!

You said before as well, use 2 IDE cables, do i set both drives to master as well??

6. hbroomhall

Most cases can be disassembled enough to sort out the wiring runs. Try waggling the cable and watch near the fan for example. And usualy case manufs use different colour cables. A small torch will help as well.

That's the rule for older parallel ATA - if there is only one it is master.

Harry.

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

The molex connector from the front of your case? does your case have any illumination on the front or a control panel for fans etc. I have a thermaltake case and have lights and control panel, they are both powered by a molex connector.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

It has just the usual front lights, for power, HDD-LED etc, but cant see anything else. The motherboard i have requires 4 connections from the PSU as well, standard ATX connector, atx12v connector, 4 pin floppy connector(or looks very similar) and a normal molex connection, the molex connector coming from the front of the case gives the option to install another molex on top, Can i plug this into the motherboard before connecting the molex from the PSU on top??

cheers

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

It sounds like you could, is it a thermaltake case? Some pic's might help us here, or a link.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. hbroomhall

The manual gives details on the power connectors. As it says - you use the extra floppy/molex connectors if you are using 2 video cards in SLI mode. As I suspect you are not (as this board doesn't do SLI) then you don't need to connect these sockets.

The molex from the front of the case is a different thing. You *must* identify what this is for in order for anybody to hazard a guess as to how to connect it. It sounds like it is a fan, but you need to check.

Harry.

11. hbroomhall

Looking at the case you mentioned early this month, the descriptions say that it has mountings for 2 fans in the front. The way it is phrased suggests that you don't actualy get these fans normally!

Have a look at the mountings to see if this is where the molex is connected to.

Harry.

12. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

thinking of it now, when i bought the case, it did say there was a mouted fan with the case.. as well as a power supply unit.

So im guessing this will be what its for

13. hbroomhall

According to the on-line descriptions the only fan shipped with the case is at the back.

Why not have a look? :biggrin

Harry.