CPU and CPU Fan running at full pelt?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sure Shot, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

I have a hp pavillion a1000 (a1029.uk) desktop, P4 2.93Ghz, 512 Ram - Asus PTGD1-LA Mobo.

The CPU fan is constantly running at full pelt and very noisy - 3797 RPM. The CPU temp is at 90 Celsius, which I know is far too hot. All stats courtesy of Speed Fan.

The CPU usage is also running at a constant 90 - 100%!

What is causing this? Virus? Hijack? Mobo Fault?

The fan runs at full pelt right from when you switch the pc on and it doesn't let up for a moment.

The pc is clean and I've installed a new fan just to be on the safe side. I've also checked the thermal compund contacts which seem to be fine.

The machine has a very basic bios without any helpfull options other than read only machine health, which reports the same figures as speed fan.

I'm about to format and re-install windows to rule out malicious possiblities. (it could do with a format anyway)

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the situation as I'm out of ideas if this doesn't sort it.

Thanks in advance

Sean :dry

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do you have anything (software or BIOS) that allows you to change the speed of you fan, if you cpu is running at 90 dgrees or more and you fan is running at full speed then there is something drastically wrong. I am not sure what to say but this sound very bad

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What does Task Manager say is consuming your CPU?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Might be worth checking the air vents, CPU fan and PSU fan for dust buildup etc.

Those P4's do run hot but there does sound like theres an issue.

Cleanup with compressed air and then a partion and format sounds like a good plan to start with.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I agree with BM! Your cpu shouldnt be running at a constant 90% usage! Something must be running and you need to find out what this is.

Its due to that that your fans running at full tilt. The more usage the CPU has the hotter it runs so the faster the fan spins (and yes 90c is high!)

Try downloading Hijackthis and running it to find out whats consuming the CPU if Task manager dosent show much. Its possible a virus or malware but could just be some minor bit of software running from boot when it shouldnt be!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Boot the PC in safe mode. If the fan behaves then you can rule out the fan or a hardware problem.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Nice one chaps,

Realised after I posted that the cpu usage (in task manager) only runs at 90+ when a web browser is open. Though it's strange that the fan is running at full pelt even when the cpu usage is at a normal 0-5% when I don't have a browser open?

I am kicking myself for not checking what was actually consuming the cpu usage! I'm halfway through formatting now. School boy error!

I say halfway through because the thing is shutting itself down now 5 mins after boot up, no doubt to overheating.

I guess the right thing to do is to put the HD in another pc as a slave and format & partition from there?

Any more ideas would be great.

Thanks for your quick replies

Sean

8. BosonMichael

If it's running at 90% with a browser open, you might have a browser exploit going of some sort. Neither IE nor Firefox redline my CPU while they're just sitting there displaying a Web page.

The fan is running AFTER you close your browser because a) the exploit is still running, or b) your CPU is still hot from running at 90% for an extended period, and the fan needs to cool it down before it ramps itself down.

You don't have to slave the HD in another PC, but you can if you want. Just be sure to get any vital data off (My Documents, pictures, etc) before you wipe it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

10. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Right,

I've formatted the drive and reinstalled windows to rule out any compromise and also applied a fresh layer of thermal compound.

The system is now stable temperature wise - 75-80c though the cpu fan is still running at full pelt right from power on.

I have tried booting in safe mode and still no change.

I'm out of ideas, anyone got any?

Thanks

Sean

11. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Corrupt Mobo?

12. greenbrucelee

Possibly something to do with the mobo, have you tried a new fan?

13. BosonMichael

My CPU fan always runs at full pelt, so that's not an indicator of problems. What IS an indicator of problems is if your CPU is always running at 90+%. Is that the case? If so, you've got some sort of app or virus or malware running full-blast.

75-80C is way too hot, in my opinion. If your CPU isn't running at 90+% constantly, and you're using the manufacturer HSF, I'd get a third-party HSF.

14. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

The CPU usage was running at 90%+ when I had a browser open. Now I have formatted it's normal but the fan is still flying.

I have fitted a new fan, which has made no difference.

I think I have two issues, one of which has been fixed. Like what's been mentioned, I believe the system had been comprimised but no longer shows signs of that as It's been wiped.

The fan is the other issue in case you hadn't guessed.

15. greenbrucelee

My cpu only runs at 48degrees I would be worried if got passed 65.

Something is really wrong, as BM said you could have a HSF problem or try running evrey available virus scanner you can to see if there is some sort of malware on it.

If its (virus) been there a while it could be so far into your pc that reinstalling your OS wont do anything it could be ingrained in the registy and boot sector.

The more progs and apps you have the larger the registry will get take this for example I run avg as well as other virus checks avg used to take 15minutes to do a full scan now it takes 35 minutes to do 41000 checks but Norton internet security check seaches through 210000 files but does it quicker. It is quite a difference in the amount of checks. So make sure you can check everything before putting it down to a hardware problem.

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the heatsink correctly installed?

The reason I ask is that I had a problem with a server after a CPU change. When the server was on its side (with the side off) everything was ok. However when the server was upright the heatsink would move slightly and not sit as it should do on the CPU. You could barely see the movement but it was there. Ordered a new heatsink kit from Dell and everything calmed down after that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. BosonMichael

The fan speed is not a big deal - some motherboards simply do not ratchet down the CPU fan speed, ever, regardless of CPU temp. As I said before, mine does not - my fan runs at the same speed, constantly.

The processor temp, not the full-speed fan, is your problem. If it's at 75C at idle, you've got heat dissipation problems. As Sparky mentions, your HSF may not be installed correctly.

18. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Good shout lads, maybe this is just normal fan speed and/or maybe the heat sink isn't sat right, hard to tell though.

I always thought a format would completly wipe everything on the drive? Is it really possible It could still have a virus in there? I'm Intrigued :dry

Also, Speed fan reads 60c but the Bios reads 82c with regard to the CPU temp, why is this?

Thanks

19. BosonMichael

There are some boot sector viruses out there, but an FDISK will usually clean that right up. I doubt that's your problem, though.

Different apps (including whatever your BIOS uses to check the temp) will interpret the temp differently. Some will use internal core temp; some will use the temp on the outside of the CPU. It's hard to detemine where some of these apps get their temp data from. When I was researching temp data for my C2D, there were a huge variety of temps being thrown around out there because each app would take their values from a different source.

20. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

I see.

So I guess it's best to stick with the Bios readings.