CPU 100% usage - constant ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Co9, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Dear Friends,

I have free meter installed on my system which consistently gives me a 100% (RED) reading on my CPU after approx 15 minutes from boot and consequent freezing of web pages ect. At this moment I'm running disk clean up and compressing old files so appreciate a large amount of work for the computer to do.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Co9:dry

WIP: A+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

There's lots of things you need to provide us with in order for us to even half diagnose this...

Care to shed a little more light?

What app?
    Was the PC working fine before the app was installed?
    How long have you been experiencing the problem? Was it after installing a particular program or upgrading a particular component.
    Check your processes, is the CPU being hammered by something? If so what's it called?

Simple way to progress is do a selective startup, update your antivirus and do a full scan. A disc defrag wouldn't hurt either.

Other than that it's more than likely it's hardware oriented.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Click Start > Run > Type Taskmgr > Click Processes > Order by CPU which should tell you which process is causing you the issues.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Qs

I wanted to give him only half the info and you go and ruin it :wink:

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What can I say you wouldn't swap me the CCNA :twisted:

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Thanks for this - The system has been defragged & Error checked regularly including disk clean up. Yes - still experiencing freeze ups prior to installing the free meter application. Have AVG free anti virus installed and perform regular scans. System is approx 10 years old and a cheap e-machine - time for a change I know to look for a serious bit of kit. Upgraded RAM 4 months ago but still only firing on 512MB which is tiny I know.
    Running on XP Home Edition

Hope this helps

thanks

Co9

7. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Many Thanks for your comments - I'm sorry - It's such a bore but I'm new to this but we all have to start somewhere !!

Kind Regards

Co9:D

8. Qs

It could just be that the PC is about to die as it's old... but it's probably still best to do as I (and craigie!) said:-

Open up Task Manager by right-clicking your taskbar and selecting Task Manager.

Go to the Processes tab (the second one along) and then click CPU, this will give you a list of the different programs which are using your CPU.

We need to know the name of the process which is being so greedy.

You can ignore the System Idle Process entry.

System freezes can be down to a lot of things, a common culprit is memory faults... but as your checker said it's the CPU, we'll start here.

Qs

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I am not saying this is the case in the scenario but we had issues with automatic updates (and the svhost it uses) doing exactly the same thing, so would be worth testing this, the next time you have this issue stop the automatic update services (go start, run services.msc, right click automatic updates (not sure off hand what its called in vista) and click stop, if the processor is freed then thats the likely solution.

To remedy this we have a batch file with the commands as follows

----------------------
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop BITS
    move c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution c:\windows\SDOld
    REGSVR32 /s WUAPI.DLL
    REGSVR32 /s WUAUENG.DLL
    REGSVR32 /s WUAUENG1.DLL
    REGSVR32 /s ATL.DLL
    REGSVR32 /s WUCLTUI.DLL
    REGSVR32 /s WUPS.DLL
    REGSVR32 /s WUPS2.DLL
    REGSVR32 /s WUWEB.DLL
    WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
    ----------------

and in the same folder the WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU.exe file is located (just google this for download)

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Thanks again for your time - will explore these possible remedies

Thankyou

Co9