Cover Letter's

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ozzie, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

I can't help wondering whether there should be a pinned post here to provide help with cover letter's.

Personally, I find writing a cover letter more challenging than writing a CV.

I've get the impression that a well written cover letter will lead a potential employer to read your CV, otherwise it goes in the bin. Also, that the CL should say more about you, in terms of you character and what you have to offer, than your CV.

These are some points I've picked up while searching the internet.

http://www.jobskills.info/letters/
    http://www.support4learning.org.uk/jobsearch/cover_letters_for_careers_and_jobsearch.cfm
    http://www.trincoll.edu/depts/career/guides/cover_ltr.shtml

Is this a good Idea?
    Can anyone provide suggestions on how best to write a cover letter?
    Are they as important as these links suggest?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

To be honest, I dont really provide a cover letter with any applications, not beyond "Please find enclosed a copy of my CV for reference regarding job X". My CV itself has a paragraph intro to me and what Im looking for. I dont include hobbies on my CV.

If they want to know me personally, thats what the interview is for. The CV is for my capabilities and qualifications. Its a "Why Im good for the job", not "Why I would fit into your team".

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

I'm glad you said that as it's what I'm thinking of doing. It's staight to the point isn't it and would bring the reader staight to you CV.

I think the elaborate style would make you seem up youself to the potential employer. But when the job ad says "Apply in writing" is this what they expect.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess I'm the opposite - I always include a cover letter, designed specifically for the company and job I am applying for.

Does it improve my chances for an interview? I have no idea... I usually get interviews when I apply for a job, but is that because of taking the time to craft a cover letter, or is it only because of the skills I mention in my resume/CV? In any case, it can only help to include a cover letter... and as I want every advantage I can get, I do so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i'm with bm on this one, create a cover letter template that is easily modified for most jobs and then if you have a job that you are really looking forward to you can craft on specifically for that position.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP