Cover Letter

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dicanio34, Mar 23, 2007.

1. dicanio34

dicanio34 Bit Poster

After applying for numerous jobs and getting no where, i was wondering how important is it to get the cover letter right.
    Is there anything that should be included in it?
    A list of what to include and what not to?
    How long should it be?

Thanks Pals!:rolleyes:

2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

This is the format I use.

Your Correspondence address
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Name of person you are writing to
    Their position in the organisation
    Company name
    Company address

Date

Job Reference number (if applicable)

Dear (name of person),

Introduce yourself briefly and explain why you are writing. (eg. I am a final year undergraduate at the University of Exeter and I am writing to apply for the job advertised on the Careers Service web site.)

Use this paragraph to explain why you would be an excellent candidate for the job. Read the job description and person specification with care and make sure that you draw the employer’s attention to the relevant skills you have developed. If you making a speculative application then you may have to use examples of more general skills that you believe will attract the employer.

Use this paragraph to explain why you want to work for this particular organisation. You will have to research information on the company web site and also any relevant information in the Careers Library or in careers directories and magazines.

A brief conclusion (eg. I enclose my CV for your attention and I look forward to hearing from you).

Yours sincerely, (use ‘Yours faithfully’ if you have started your letter with dear Sir/Madam)

(leave this space clear for your signature)

Your Name

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Stupid question,but if you are applying for a job online through e-mail would you still write your details in the top right corner like in a written letter or just write the main body of your cover letter format?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
    Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I'd say you don't need one when applying through agencies, they don't read CV's let alone the covering letters. I've stopped including one and it didn't stop me from getting calls. However I'd definitely include one when applying direct. I guess your details top right won't harm the application at all.