Courses for IT/Networking careers Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by BenMcM, Feb 28, 2011.

1. BenMcM

BenMcM New Member

Hey guys,

I'm a new comer to the forum and am looking for some advice on courses to get into networking and IT. I am a 16 year old from Northern Ireland studying for my GCSEs in the summer. I am looking to get a career with Networking in IT in the future and would love to get a course that teaches me the relevant information to persue a career in IT & networking.

I have found a lot of part-time courses in colleges around my area but I would like to take a full time course after leaving this year if I do. I have also found an apprenticeship for an IT and telecoms professional at my local college (SERC). You can view the course here.

I would just like some advice on the best way to get into an IT or networking career please. Anything is relevant, dont hold back on me. I don't know whether to stay on and do A-levels or to carry out the apprenticeship. If you have any other courses you wish to share please do.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Hi Ben,

welcome to the site.

In terms of the resources available here in NI, I am as in the dark as you are I'm afraid!

Most local colleges centre on Microsoft courses,most of which will be too advanced for your current needs.

Just quickly looked at the course you posted a link of, it mentions the use of MS and Comptia, which sounds encouraging. Try to speak to people currently on the course if you can, or those who have been, to get their feedback.

What I will say is, that the peeps here advocate that most new starters self-study, following the tried and tested route of Comptia A+ and Network + (which I am currently working on) , then as an intro to Microssoft certs, the MCDST, which actually expires in June, but is considered an essential cert to hold.

The Comptia exams, while not being seen as an essential job criteria, will give you an excellent grounding in the the theories and concepts you need.

At the tender age of 16, you may not have the maturity to apply yourself to self-study ( not meaning to be nasty here, I am over twice your age and I struggle!), but if you do that, it will show dedication to your goals.
    Plus, if you go down that route, you will have ample resources and assistance courtesy of the good people on this site.

I have probably not answered all your questions here, but I hope to have given you a little to think of.
    I am sure a more experienced member will be along soon to offer more help.

All the best

Declan

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great advice here - I agree with Declan. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree too.

Reppage for Veloce :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?