Course providers - reliable? - urgent

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by afusco86, Dec 21, 2005.

1. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

Hi there.

I had a few interviews last week and I selected two providers.
    I'd like you to tell me anything you know about them.

1) James Thornton

A+, MCSA, CNNA etc.
    The course cost is £7995 all inclusive and they guarantee you a job paying you CDL back until you find it.

The course length goes from 2 months to 2 years.

2) Computer Training College

A+ etc.
    The A+ course costs £3000+ all inclusive.
    They get half the fee paid by some banks if you pass a (really, too much?) simple test - as I did. The questions were like 'is greater 0.3, 1/3 or 30%?' or 'Monitor, keyboard, something - which one is an input device?'.
    The other half (£1700something) is payable by the student in, say 24 months, in (say) £70pm with no interest at all.
    The salesman told me that the average time to complete the course is 4-5months.

This one sounded really good as I heard their name before... and, even if is just a basic qualification (A+, by the way just what I need) it seems cheap, and the instalments' option sounds great.

Before I commit my hopes (and my money 'course :) ) I'd like to know as much as possible about those 2 organizations.

I have 2 weeks' time to think about it.

Anything would be helpfull.

CHeeeeeeeeeeers..

P.S. Goddes you're a winner... good luck

WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have no idea but then I don't live in the UK. I trust you read this piece already...

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread7338.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

tnx 4gettin back mate.. i did read it yet and i'm actually at the 'final stage'

does anyone know anything else about those companies?

4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

£8000 is a lot of money. are those the only certs you get (3)?
    my training provider offers 4 certs (mcse, mcsa, ccna, mcdba or mcdst) plus the chance, if you finish within the time limit, of doing the a+ and/or mcse:security. and that's for £5750.
    though i cannot recommend them :D
    £3000 seems way too much for just the A+. get yourself a book or two and a pc to destroy, and you're set. i think.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

£3000 for A+ :ohmy And you say thats cheap.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

thanks guys...

and, how about their reputation?

omni: I know... the rules are rules... but.. could you tell me what is your provider... maybe in private? email? plllllllllllzzz

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Have you any links for James.... Why have you got 2 weeks to decide? Don't be fooled in to thinking you have to decide there is only so many places left.....
    Take your time to decide and think carefully what you want and expect off your provider before signing or paying any money.

If you are new to IT why don't you pick up a A+ all in one by Mike Myers and start to read it. If you do like it, great, if you don't you have only wasted £25.

Hope this helps :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

very helpfull indeed.. and.. If i decide to study on my own, what about the examinations then? where to apply, prices etc.

p.s. once again, does anyone know anything about those organizations?

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You will need to register with either Pearson VUE or Thompson Prometric. They are the two main providers for allowing you to sit the vast majority of IT certifications. Get yourself registered, then you can pick an exam centre that's closest to you, then you can pay either of those companies direct for the individual exams.

You will be looking at about £100 to £120 for each A+ exam (there are two exams Hardware & OS).

So buy a couple of good books, get your self an exam simulator like Trancender, the whole lot will cost you £300 to £400 pounds. A hell of a lot cheaper than 3 grand!!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i assume these are the websites:
    http://www.ctcollege.co.uk/welcome.asp
    http://www.jamesthorntongroup.com/

i wasn't able to find out anything about them...other than the fact that they are way overpriced.
    i'm not sure i want to advertise for them, as they promote the use of braindumps.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, both these links look very impressive but to be honest you can achieve A+ by yourself, a good book (All in one, Mike Myers), an old PC and this great forum. This will give you a good taste to a wide range of topics for a fraction of the cost of a trainer.
    Don't forget to go to www.getcertified4less.com for exam vouchers.

Hope this helps :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

i can definitely consider this conversation over...

tnx a10000000 to everyone.. I kind of feel... not alone now with this comunity by my side..

cheers

all the best2every1

tommy

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

WOW that is a lot of cash!

I am doing a degree with the OU and it is costing me £4,000 tops part of that is the CCNA!!

14. brom_star

brom_star Bit Poster

James thornton had "careers advisers" signs over their heads when I went in, and seemed to know a lot about getting people into jobs and lots of stuff about microsoft logos and certifications. Have not been to computer training college, but why would a college have sales reps?
    Think'd be seeking advice on a career & training rather than a sales pitch. Try out a few and get the best advice - ask an experienced person or existing students of those companies etc before deciding, I am