Couple of questions on MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Mordred, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Is there an 'industry standard' book for MCDST that is suitable for self study, in the way that the Meyers book is the definitive text for A+? I saw the MCDST Sybex book in Borders and it was rather underwhelming due to how thin it was.

Anyone know where can I find a list of MCDST testing sites? I tried googling and looking at the Prometric site but it wouldnt let me see the test sites without first booking an exam!! Im ideally looking for sites in the Brighton, London or Bristol areas.

Thanks in advance :biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The MCDST is a combination of two exams, the 70-271 and 70-272

See here..

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/requirements.mspx

So, you should be looking at individual study material that covers each of those exams. Sybex books are usually good for example.

As for testing centres, all Microsoft exams are taken at either Pearson VUE or Prometric testing centres.

You can find the closet centre to you by searching the above sites. i think you can even book the exams when you feel ready.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, Microsoft exams are no longer offered by Vue - they're offered only at Prometric sites. :)

Although I've not personally used any books to study for the MCDST exams, I generally recommend both Microsoft Press and Sybex books for Microsoft exams.

Mordred, you'll be hard pressed to find another 1100+ page book for a certification exam... ;) If a couple hundred pages is all it takes, so be it. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

When you register with Prometric you are able to 'Locate a Test Centre'.

They are in alphabetical order.

In relation to the MCDST, I have recently passed the 70-271 & 70-272. The route I took was as follows:

1. Read MS Press Books & Make Notes

2. Watch CBT Nuggets and then take the Objective Questions at the end of the MS Book. I found this particually helpful as all the stuff you learned in Chapter One, you sometimes forget parts of by Chapter 12!

3. Use notes to revise with daily and MS Readiness Review Suite Test Questions.

4. Take exam!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Cheers guys, most helpful! :biggrin

I stopped short with the Prometric site as they made it sound like I had to book an exam before I saw the test centres! Now I know its just a matter of registering I will check it out.

BosonMichael: Trust me Im not complaining that the Sybex book is thin! All the A+ books you see are huge so I thought that might be the case for most certification study guides. Glad to hear its not!

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST