1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you look at my CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Tim131, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

I had another thread there about getting into the IT industry, someone said it could be wise popping it on here, for you's all to have a look at, and give me some criticism (there will be a lot haha)

I'll attach it cos the formatting is weird on this, and doesn't look great :)

I am currently studying a computing related degree (which I hate) so I don't know whether to put that there. I also did one year at the university of Aberdeen, computing science, but I don't know whether to include that, as it could seem as if I am a quitter, whereas, I just really hate software development.

Here is my previous thread, giving some further detail about me and my situation :)

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I read loads of CVs at work mate. I like your CV as there is no bullsh1t on it! :biggrin

If you want to change anything perhaps add some details for the PC World part. For example some of the tasks you did on a day to day basis. Also did you have to fix items for a specified time – if so highlight this.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. jake77

jake77 Bit Poster

It's good but I feel that it needs condensing, because if an employer gets 20 C.V.'s to read, then they may get bored by reading too much. When you apply for a job tailor your cv for that specific job, and put all relevent info down, doesn't matter if you didn't finish the course, you still completed a year which is pretty good. I would advise you to get your cv looked at by a professional, it wont hurt.

Certifications: 50m swimming certificate
    WIP: No cert, I'm an apprentice.
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Duties Involved: I spent a few weeks here as part of work experience for school, here I learned invaluable interpersonal and computing/IT skills. My main responsibilities were assisting the computer programmers/testers.

Employer: The Sunday Tribune (Newspaper). Position: Intern. Date: September '07.

Duties Involved: Again, I spent a few weeks here as part of work experience for school, my main duties were to assist the journalists, as part of the work experience I wrote two articles which were published.

I would revise these parts.
    In the first you use the word "here" twice in the same sentence.
    Secondly, I would say "I wrote several articles, two of which were published."
    You're saying the same thing with a positive spin.

edit: The way you say it, it sounds rather mundane. I wrote two articles, they were published. Big deal. I don't even need to make a effort to be good.
    My way, it sounds like: I wrote some articles. Some were good enough for publication in a professional newspaper. I'm proud enough of that to put it on my CV.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

Thanks all, very muchly appreciated will be sure to amend accordingly :)