Could you guys help in adding my N+ skills on my new CV

Discussion in 'Network+' started by sakuraba1982, Jan 28, 2007.

1. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

I have cut and pasted the little bit about my N+ cert from my new cv (N+ cert pending 2 weeks but i have a couple of hours spare so getting a head start)

is there any other way to sell the cert better that you can think of ???

Please add your opinions if poss i want the cert to look as good as i can on my cv!!!

Comptia Network + technician certification

This certification is focused on the skills needed for the role of an on the job network technician. It shows competency with network protocols such as TCP/IP and Novell’s IPS/SPX, LAN/WAN topologies, networking maintenance and troubleshooting. Routers and the internet are also covered as well as firewalls. The N+ certification is a worldwide recognized certification to show network competency for an IT technician.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi mate.

Nobody can really tell you what you have learned.
    We can all quote the syllabus for N+, but what did it do for YOU?

Try writing a list of skills that you have now that would be useful in a work environment.

Post it here if you like and we'll help you refine it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. sakuraba1982

thats pretty much what i come up with so far??? i'mnot much cop at CV's to be honest

4. sakuraba1982

to be honest i have elarnt so much out of these certs that its really hard to define it in words!!!

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OK.

The best thing to do is to take a before and after picture.

What did you know before, and how has that changed.

Use the N+ syllabus to help you (from the CompTIA website - or from the study materials you have). Read each point and think, 'can I do that?' Then try and put it into your own words.

What I'm getting at here is that the person reading your CV may or may not know what N+ is.

You need to try and translate it into skills that they may be looking for.

And don't forget that the fact that you have done all this yourself is a skill in itself, and certainly worth a mention!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Firstly - Novell's protocol is IPX/SPX

Secondly - you have spelt recognised with an American *ize* which (unless you are an American) makes it look like a copy and paste.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Put it this way, if you were asked in an interview about the N+ what would you say? :blink

You say you havent learnt much from the certs but if someone asks you in an interview about the N+ you would want to give a better answer than that. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's my opinion that if a company doesn't know what the Network+ certification is, and you've got to explain it to them, you shouldn't be working for them anyway.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. sakuraba1982

lol yeah i know its IPX.SPX and the recognised thing is a typo cheerz guys gonna correct now lol

10. sakuraba1982

yeah i agree with what your saying

i went for a job at a school the other week they wanted a helpdesk tech , network tech , website designer and someone who could help with lessons

they didn't seem to understand that this was several jobs with several different skill sets

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, yes and no. Depends on the size of the company. I would expect someone to do all of that in a small company.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Quoted for truth.

I used to do all that IT stuff, and much more back in the UK, as well as be the fleet manager for over 40 company cars and to top it all, the service department manager. The company was very busy, especially my department and there were approx 50 staff - I did IT support for seven years prior to even thinking about getting certified.

Sorry not bragging, just trying to keep it real :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)