Could this be fatal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Karen44, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

How novel is that. a speaking computer

Just thought I would give you all my thoughts, I had a computer some time ago that kept rebooting and occasionally BSOD, it was running XP aswell. I discovered that apparently, XP monitors the voltage across the USB ports, now USB ports should only draw 5mV (or was it mA)......anyway, as soon as they hit the 4.9-5 mV/mA XP would reboot or BSOD, the device in question was an ADSL modem, this also happened even if I was not usiong the modem (not dialed up/unplugged from the phone line).

Dont know if it helps, and if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

POWER SUPPLY sounds like "ducked"!!! and its not a movie. seriously it could be an issue with the power supply dropping off, it can be fine 1 minuete then not give enought power out causing the reboot, if you have a spare id recomend trying it cause it sounds like the one your using at the moment may be faulty, have seen weird problems like this before and usually related.

hope this helps....

Certifications: MCP win2k PRO
    WIP: ?