Could be losing a good member of staff

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Dec 3, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, they are a drain on the company cash flow regardless of whether they provide value or not. Even one IT employee is an expense, albeit a necessary one. The balancing act comes in determining how much is too much and how much is not enough. Either extreme, and your business suffers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. BosonMichael

Not from what I've seen. Non-essential services get cut first, and IT isn't really seen as "non-essential" by most companies. Sure, they'll trim back (and when they do, it's usually the bottom feeders who are the first to get the axe!)... but I can guarantee you that many other departments likely feel it worse than we do, mate.

Those companies that cut indiscriminately based on the belief that IT is a non-essential expense quickly discover that business productivity and functionality decreases. So what do they do? Hire a short-term contract employee or an outsourced hourly tech... costing them more than before.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Alex,
    Everything Arrorryn and BosonMichael have said is exactly what I meant but please allow me to clarify your questions.

When you work for an outsourcing company, a person leaving does not mean they will be replaced as they would in a typical IT department. If you imagine company X pays us 6 million per year to take the whole thing off their hands, infrastructure, development, everything. That is a massive amount BUT a finite amount. If they want anything more they pay extra.

Now if you hire a person and have them work on an account, their wage effectively comes out of the money earned for that contact, along with hardware and support costs etc. To cut a long story short, its not like a traditional business model where your company may make 100 million profit last year and willl do 120 this year and therefore is experiencing growth. We do grow but on a customer by customer basis have a set amount of money per customer in which to provide at least the same service as they enjoyed having their IT in-house.

This means that even if a person leaves, it doesn't automatically mean they are replaced. It will be reviewed, front line troops like myself will kick up reports to our superiors on workloads, problems faced etc.

As a crude example; to win the contract I'll come along and say "your in house IT costs 8 million I'll do it for 4". I can do this because I've already got the datacenters and server farms in place, already got 2000 network analysts etc. All that happens is I dish that work out across my staff. Where do outsourcers get the majority of their staff? They offer the people being outsourced roles, before looking to the wider market because obviously its a sensitive thing to happen to a person, if we can't find you a job you could possibly be made redundant.

Thats a total brain dump so excuse my grammar but to sum up, its not flippant of me to assume that at least initially and "unfortunately" myself and my remainding team will have to cover the work performed by afore mentioned potential migrating employee.

Is that any clearer? I can see your argument about more work making people unhappy but it doesn't necesarily work like that for us. The normal rules don't apply when you work for an IT company that has 55000+ staff.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Not at the companies I've worked for unfortunately

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm better looking. :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. JK2447

This is exactly right IMO. IT Support will always cost you money, unless you charge for it and then its still costing someone else money. Development is different because you can sell software they have written but support, its always gonna cost and not make money. IT support basically exists because if some part of your IT infrastructure breaks, its costing them more to NOT have it than to pay people to fix it.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

same here

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. BosonMichael

If you and Daz ever worked on the "good side" of IT, your opinions would change dramatically. I hope that happens!!! :)

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I know of a few people that got bored of IT
    not because IT is boring or they had the wrong mind set, but because many IT jobs are indeed boring
    how many of us have worked at a place where management have outsourced all the cool jobs to consultancies? even though we trained long and hard to do it?

My friends eventually both changed roles and found the spark for IT again, one of them even spent 1000 quid on a new home lab just to play with vSphere after his vSphere class as he was that stoked again about how 'cool' IT was, something I had been telling him for years ;)

IT is what you make it
    its cutting edge, its exciting, its thought provoking
    but only if you let it be

but hey, keep using XP and Office 97, knock yourself out ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. JK2447

I couldn't agree more Ryan. We are all the masters of our own destiny. If a person isn't happy they should do something about it IMO. I have a lot of respect for people like that. I am gaining new skills all the time and I love being in IT :biggrin The worlds gonna be my oyster :lol: :twisted:

11. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

I remember being bored sh*tless working at EDS in Blackpool about 4 years ago, i'd been there about 3 years, money hadn't changed much, role hadn't changed much and I was sick of IT, for some reason I decided to give the Royal Marines a go. Off I went on the 3 day commando course and was in bits the entire time, after being tired of doing infinite pressups and viewing sergeants collection of mpegs consisting of Iraqi's getting shot in the head I thought 'IT's not so bad', back to work I went, (I passed the course by the way!) tarted up my CV, applied for loads of jobs and was able to escape to a much better position.
    Haven't looked back since, it wasn't IT I was sick of, just the mundane work I was doing at the time.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma