Could be losing a good member of staff

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Dec 3, 2009.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Just finished a reference for a cracking member of my team. She's had enough of IT and wants a change :rolleyes: I'm a bit worried now that my reference was 110% positive but it was the truth in her case. Oddly enough I've spoken to two or three collegues recently who have expressed a desire to leave IT :eek: I couldn't do anything else myself. Just wanted to share. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Employ me :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'm also free for a position.

Plus I'm younger than craigie :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Did she give any reason for wanting to leave IT or what she is going into?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm older and wiser ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I do think IT can be very demanding, even impacting on peoples personal life, this may be one reason why women avoid such careers. Also it appears a fairly low status profession compared to some other professional careers.

For example forms often require signing by a 'professional' but engineers are never mentioned.

The members of the board of companies also very rarely comprise of engineers.

What are the individuals leaving to do ?

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm in between the lot of 'em.

And I'd be directly replacing the outgoing female member of staff. :tune

And edit - no, I haven't heard much of anyone my neck of the industry that wants to get out of IT. We're too busy to think about things like that! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Start advertising for positions now!! and you won't have any shortage of good CV's to look through.
    Interview a couple from a shortlist youve made of good CV's, then approach those members of your team and get
    a straight answer from them about if they want to stay in the role or not.

Its like going up to your line manager/manager/director and saying by the way I'm looking to move out of this Industry, its a more suttle way of saying I want a different Job! and In a different Industry!.

There ticking time bombs Jim and all you would be doing by "not getting other people to line up for interviews for the same roles there currently in" is just waiting to be screwed over when you may have 3 of the members of staff suddenly hand in there notice at dates close to each other then you would find yourself in a bit of a pickle. Then again saying that with the big numbers out there looking for work perhaps it would be easy to get new talent onboard in your team.

on the other hand if your company is doing so well and they could look at the possibility of letting some go then it just means they save themselves money on redundancy pay outs :D.

I'm not experienced in managing in the slightest but thats the way I would see it unfolding :biggrin, if anything were to unfold that is :p

Prepare for the worst! then you won't be preparing to fail! but win instead :D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  9. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

I considered leaving IT a few months ago, but I have stuck it out. it seems to be paying off. There could be lots of reasons why people want to leave, it is quite stressful, some other people I know in IT are being laid off and their jobs being outsourced to India. Its just a hard time at the moment I guess.

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As D mentioned, IT's not for everyone. If you don't enjoy problem solving and constant learning, it'll be an uphill battle or, at best, a daily grind.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I would if I could but I doubt we could afford two mavericks like you two!

As Dave said, her work life balance isn't where she wants it to be. I have to admit she's got a point but as the main bread earner in my house its not even an option for me or most people to fix in the current climate.

I'm not sure if you all saw but I went for an interview for a Network and Security Analyst position. Same grade as me but minus the Team Leader bit to try and improve my current W/L/B. Same wage but better promotion prospects as these fellas do well in our organisation. Fingers crossed.

I'd have you mate only it would cost you 3.2 million per year to drive your 4 litre to and from work I've just been told by one of our statisticians! Give or take a grand :p

You are absolutely right mate, her work was impacting her personal life.

I also agree with us having to fight for the 'Professional' status although at least we have it better than your office worker types.

As an outsource firm we meet a lot of directors and as you say very few were engineers. I think as been discussed on here thats where a Masters from a red brick holds much more weight than a cert ever could.

She's attempting to work as a supervisor of carers for the elderly.

Unfortunatley I think we are more likely to inherit more work and less staff :eek:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

but I'm cooler 8)

..and if he doesn't employ me, I'll beat him up:box2

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I don't mean to sound patronising at all but could you elaborate on what you mean't by that because I'm struggling to understand what you mean by "Unfortunatley I think we are more likely to Inherit more work"

Maybe I'm just failing to understand what you mean't by it, but from what you quoted from my post as well I'm very confused as to what you mean by what I have quoted from you also with what you quoted from me in the post Ive QUOTED! (I have said quoted enough times now I think for one post :D)

I just thought to "Inherit more work" for a company would be a pleasure :blink would it not and in the current climate and correct me If I'm wrong but there wouldn't be a shortage of skilled techs out there or what ever it is your team are dealing with, meaning you could get a good decent team together in no time if your to inherit more work :blink

Thanks!

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Alex - he said distinctly, more work less staff, the less staff element being the bit that matters :biggrin

So basically, the pressure on the team left increases, whilst they don't have an increase in the manpower to compensate for the increase in workload.

Basically, it shoots your Work Life Balance (WLB) to smithereens.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Can't really argue with your colleague on that... There are people who end up changing careers just like some of us start IT careers. I can definitely see why she would get fed up... I mean to really have fun at what you're doing, you'll need to put in the time and effort to move up and do more interesting things and really love what you do. The best thing is to be supportive and understanding and it will make it easier on everyone.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Just confused me because of which line of my post he reffered to and when saying unfortunatley in response to me saying advertise now for positions!!

Surely more work is, more resources and more money??, aren't you at all able to convice the higher ranks in your company to take on an extra member of staff to avoid having 1-4 members of your team wanting to leave as a result of the amount of work there being bombarded with on a daily basis?? Taking on 1 more extra member of staff will essentially save you the time and money of losing 1-4 members of staff.
    I'm not saying to be direct and blunt with them on the subject with them leaving but 1 more member of staff is going to ease off the pressure there under.

But hey what do I know! I'm just specualting :D hope your whole team doesn't run out on you anyway gl with the whole thing Jim!

17. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Personally if I could take back 8 years of my life I wouldn't pursue a career in IT. Too demanding, salary is crap for the stress and hours and there are easier ways to make a living. Too late now as it's the only thing I know what to do and I've invested too much time and money in my career. I can totally understand where she is coming from and some people love the demands IT makes on them and other simply don't.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on the job. In-house techs don't get any more money when more work comes down the pipe. Businesses that do outsourced IT service work get more money when more work comes down the pipe... but businesses that employ their own onsite techs do not. More work in those companies just means more stuff to do and no revenue to show for it.

Well, see, that's the juggling act, isn't it? And that's why the number crunchers spend time with budget spreadsheets. Get too overstaffed, and you bleed expenses. Get too understaffed, and you bleed employees. There's a balance in there somewhere... the fine line where morale and profit are optimized. It's a harder balancing act than you might think.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

And a balancing act which many companies fail to think about in regards to IT unfortunately, largely because of the lack of revenue generated by onsite techs. A large number of people and organisations still see their IT departments as nothing more than a drain on the company cash flow.

Thankfully some are learning that IT helps increase revenue everywhere else by facilitating the introduction of more efficient business practices.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  20. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Pretty much summed it up and thats why when companies are doing badly the IT department is usually the first to suffer.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011