Cosmos: An open-source .Net-based microkernel OS is born

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cosmos: An open-source .Net-based microkernel OS is born

Move over, Microsoft Singularity. There’s another microkernel, .Net-based operating system in town. And this one’s available under an open-source license.

Known as Cosmos, the new, independently developed operating system (OS) is the brain child of former Microsoft Developer and Platform Evangelism team member Chad “Kudzu” Hower. Unlike Singularity — version one of which Microsoft released last year (and only to university researchers and academics) — Cosmos is available to anyone, Hower said. The developers released Milestone 1 of Cosmos at the very end of January.

For the rest of the story, see here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Modey
      Modey
      Sounds interesting mate.
    2. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      The Microkernel based OS development is very interesting stuff, VMWare have been touting the concept of
      JeOS for a while (Just Enough OS) and the philosophy is used heavily in virtual appliances (don't by a mail app, by a mail appliance, etc) from a managed service perspective, this is great because its easy to support when you own the whole stack OS and up

the fact that being .net based we can now start to see MS based technology used in a similar manner (it was previously only available in flavours of nix due to the ease of customising the kernel) is great stuff, especially with the powerful platform that .net is

Nice one :)