corrupt Config/System and OEM XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fanatical, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No, but I'll take that as a compliment :)

:offtopic

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Well, let's turn it on it's head. "System builders" are entitled to buy OEM XP legitimately, right? If someone were to purchase identical components to an HP and build it and purchase an OEM license, are they breaking the law?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Mathematix - hey dude whats with revealing the mystic IT mind trick to the masses?? - shame on you !! :biggrin :biggrin

also I know for a fact that it is best used on a CEO when asking for a bigger budget not a mere laptop!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Mathematix,

Let's answer my question first. Here is the question again. How do you propose that a laptop owner is going to comply with the "OEM license?"

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

just to clear up any confusion here by OEM I meant that the version of windows was supplied on the laptop already and was not installed by myself or my friend which I assume means that it was an OEM copy of XP. Hence no CD's other than the supplied recovery CD.

I think I may well invest in one of those new fangled IDE to USB bridges as it sounds like a frickin useful piece of kit for situations like this! Will see the dude today so will let you know what happens...

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  6. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

just to clear up any confusion here by OEM I meant that the version of windows was supplied on the laptop already and was not installed by myself or my friend which I assume means that it was an OEM copy of XP. Hence no CD's other than the supplied recovery CD. It's also not a company laptop, it's his own personal one which is why I'm willing to put in a few more hours on it. I've yet to secure myself a job in the IT sector but just you wait!!

I think I may well invest in one of those new fangled IDE to USB bridges as it sounds like a frickin useful piece of kit for situations like this! Will see the dude today so will let you know what happens...

7. Mathematix

I am answering your question. Before I do answer I would like to test your knowledge throughly first. :)

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Fanatical,

Then the "Recovery CD" is what you boot from because that is your OS disc. :)

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

No, answering my question would be an answer instead of this attempt at an "interrupt" procedure to place your question before mine.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I was addressing your particular point where you stated, "Also, due to the two editions of "OEM media" and corresponding product key code families, the solution isn't as simple as "just buy an OEM XP." The solution IS as simple as just buying an OEM version of XP. I didn't say that it was the cheapest solution, nor did I say it was the solution I would choose. I simply mean to say that it is a viable option if you have the funds to do so. You didn't say that there was a monetary limitation... you said it "couldn't be done due to OEM editions and product key code families". I was addressing that point.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's easy to comply with the terms of the OEM license... simply purchase a valid piece of hardware for that laptop, if you so desire... a hard drive, a processor, a stick of memory, a PCMCIA card...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Really? Where does the ‘backup’ server come from by the way? Thin air? :biggrin

I would maintain an unstable system until there was a suitable time to take the system down. No IT for a company for a period of time is a *big* deal.

What does a format and a reinstall actually teach? Not much.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Mathematix

I tired of your rhetoric, Sparky. I've made my point, if you want the last word then here, take it! Jeez... :bla

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay guys shake hands :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. Mathematix

I honestly don't know how you derive your logic. As mentioned to Sparky I've made my points and they speak for themselves. I do realise how much your 'reputation' means to you on these forums and your desires to defend it.

honestly, you guys are not doing yourselves any favours. If I see poor advice being given I will step in and put matters right as I have done in this thread.

Enough said.

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

really guys shake hands before this thread gets closed.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Calm down mate, it’s just a difference of opinion throughout this thread so let’s not fall out.

Again, going back to original post I think there is potential to repair the laptop using recovery console. I can’t say it will work for sure but I can say buying a OEM copy of XP is going to cost money and *might* be an unnecessary expense.

For me wiping the PC\laptop\server is the last resort. I can generally tell in the first 30 mins or so if it is going to be ‘saveable’, if it isn’t then its just a case of recovering as much data as possible. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The only *poor advice* i have seen in this thread thus far is coming from you.

These are primarily certification forums. If you had studied any Microsoft certifications, you would know that the right way to approach a problem is with a solution that involves the least amount of effort. A reformat involves a lot of time and effort. It is not always the best option :wink:

Now, please, back off!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Mathematix

No, Bluerinse. If the advice that I have given is sound I *will not* back off.

Care to precisely explain how my advice is wrong? Because I rubbed some egos wthe wrong way should not mean that I should back off from making perfectly legitimate suggestions that others also agree with.

Don't talk to me like that, Bluerinse. I've done nothing wrong and defended myself fairly when challenged. I'd expected more from you as a moderator! :x

20. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

for my tuppence worth on this a reformat was the LAST thing that I would have done. It was only ONE of the options I could have chosen but it achieved only one part of what I needed to do (to get the laptop working but it would have lost all his data).

You may also notice that I didnt ask what the options I had were I asked how I could get to the recovery console without an XP CD. I already knew that if all else failed a re-install would be the only option.

So everyone else gave their honest answer to my question and to be fair you've only told me what I already knew. Bluerinse has it spot on I'm afraid.

I'm asking an admin to close this thread now because it's not going anywhere other than to flames-ville. the laptop got fixed by someone else before I had a chance to test out anything anyway.....