Correlation between SciFi and I.T???

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by stuPeas, Jun 10, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Just a question to the members. I think that things like Star Trek shaped my thought processes, from a very early age, toward science in general (although I.T does not fit with the strict definition of a science, more of a tool for enabling the scientific method).

How many members of this great community think the same.

What was it that led you to I.T?
    How do you See I.T (just a JOB, Love of "fixing stuff" and finding how it works?)

Sorry if this question isn't worded brilliantly, Iv just woke up :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's done the same for me. And I believe for alot of the world. Lets face it, back in the 60's how many other programs had a mixure of genders & races working as one? IMO programs like Star Trek has lead to alot of real inventions: automatic door's, mobile phones, some improvements in space developement, data storage, etc :)

"What was it that led you to I.T?"

I always had a great interest in engineering/technology ever since I was young, and I just grew towards IT.

"How do you See I.T (just a JOB, Love of "fixing stuff" and finding how it works?)"

A career as well as a hobby - a love of "fixing stuff" and finding how it works, as well as other stuff (as you develop your career and progress, you get your hands in other areas).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Star Trek for me made me wonder about the fact that it was dumb to think that there wasnt any other form of life out in space wether in our universe or outside it.

To do with IT I was just drawn to it at an early age because it was something I had an all round ability in

I have never thought about the correlation before but it obviously exists and I believe that some of the technology we have today wouldnt exist if it were not for Star Trek, like scientists are working on cloaking devices, this wouldnt have been thought of it had happened in Start Trek, take the first series and the communicators looks kind of like a mobile/cell phone doesn't it

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I am a big Next Generation fan.

It was a really different concept from TOS.

In the Original Series, the ship would be about to blow up. Everything would be shaking and the only way to fix it would be for a central character to crawl up a tube and stick some lego onto a box.
    He'd be sweating so hard, his quif would flop over his eyes.

Not very IT I thought.

Then came NG. Everything had multiple redundant safty systems and the writers had to work very hard to put the ship in danger. When they did, a little light came on warning everyone that 'something was wrong'. Geordie would stroke his chin and access the main engines from a station in medical (awesome remote desktop they had) and just divert something or invert something - and the little light would go back off.

No one broke a sweat. Engineers did loads of diagnostics and talked about them in the bar. You never saw anyone cut his finger trying to swap out a graphics card. That was the vision I enjoyed.

Unfortunately, so far, I have found a career in IT to be more like the former...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Yeah..lol:biggrin

Re-route through the ODN conduit....Re-route....Re-route.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I think its a little different for me, I never really got into any sort of Star Trek etc.. I just grew up with new technology all over the place, and my Dad also had an interest in all the latest gadgets so I was exposed to them all.

I also love learning, and really believe that you've just got to go for it, I know too many people that just sit in the same dull job for years without ever actually progressing. I think IT is a brilliant field of work to really progress both within a company and personally.

:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012