Copy domain profile from one pc to another then change the user connected to tha prof

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Dec 18, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I have to set up a client pc and put them onto the domain, which is fine for the basics, but i also have to setup all the software, outlook etc and loads more. So i thought i could take a full image of another clients PC then load that image onto the new pc as both people use pretty much extact same software and they said that would be ok.

Now these are not roaming domain pofiles so as far as i know the image will contain the domain pofile of the person that uses that pc (will probably also contain a local profile). Now once i load the image onto the new pc how do i use the domain profile on it for someone else, if i can even do that?

I would have to change the computer name, the cd key, the user account name etc etc??

So in conclusion i am trying to clone another pc with a pc that has a domain profile already set on it. But i need to use that cloned domain pofile for another user. I thikn this is either going to be very simple of very complex.

Certifications: A+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Is there any reason why you can't just install the new PC and software, join the pc to the domain and then the user can log on with their domain account?

Doing it the other way has many problems. First you'd have to take the pc out of the domain before cloning. Also, 2 users using the same domain account on 2 different pcs at the same time is not a good idea.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Don't complicate things.

If you don't have a 'base' PC image set up then wipe the second PC and install a fresh build. Once the user logs in it will pull all their details down.

In future make generic local changes required in the All Users folder as this keeps the user specifc folders as simple as possible.

Try to get away from having to manually install software (Office etc) as it's way too labour intensive. Instead use SMS or group policy software installation.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

The main reason is that it will take hours to install and configure all the software, plus a lot of the disks are copies.

Certifications: A+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can configure a default profile on the PC and then copy it to the new PCs or even keep it on a server.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/customprofile.htm

For software installation if you are working with a small network then you probably dont have a volume license agreement for MS products so you may have to install these individually.

Some other products (such as Adobe Reader) can be rolled out from the .msi file so no need to install than manually.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Create a Default Profile that you are happy with.

Then copy this to the NETLOGON folder on your DC, this will then be the Default Profile used.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Is all this still on that SBS 2000 system ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)