Cooling vs Noise vs cable management

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 22, 2008.

?

Cooling vs Noise vs cable management

Poll closed Jul 29, 2008.
  1. Cooling

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Noise

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Cable Management

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All three

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If your a PC gamer which of these is most important to you when choosing a case?

1. Cooling
    2. Noise
    3. cable management
    4. all three

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Cooling, because without it your computer would cease to function as it overheats! Proper cooling is the most important.

Your computer would still work with a loud noise and poor cable management, but cooling is required to make it run safely.

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

But all cases will provide *adequate* cooling (or they wouldn't be sold). Now if you're talking overclocking etc or adding high end stuff then you may want to ensure it has adequate mounts/power connections.

For me it would be noise but again, this is not necessarily a function of the case itself.

Just my 5p's worth anyhow ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

There is another option, None of These.

While Noise, cable management and Cooling are aspects that i'd think about, when choosing a new case i consider cost, materials its made of, the look of it and whether it will fit all my bits in. Theres no point having a case too small to fit several HDD, a couple of fans, that rather large graphics card and the very large CPU heatsink/fan you just spent out on. But it also has to look nice on teh desk. Not too plasticy, not too square, and not just a lump of steel.
    Theres just too many things to think about for a case to list just 1 or 2 (at least in my case!)

Oh and froma modding point of view, theres also the What can i do to this, how easy will it come apart and what Mods can i put on it?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

If you're talking high-end gaming machine then it's all three. Poor cable management will affect cooling because of the disturbed airflow, unless you're using water cooling you're gonna have to tolerate some noise because of the number of fans in the machine - but I only buy low noise fansto balance performance and noise.

Balancing all three is generally regarded as a 'well built system'. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. greenbrucelee

Good points, although I wasn't really looking at it from a modding point of view.

I also thought all 3, I am still undecided on a case to get, I was looking at the Antec 1200 but thought it might be too noisy also I may have to get a cable extender for the 24 pin mobo plug. I have also been looking at the Antec P180B but it looks a little plasticy and may not offer all the cooling I will want. I have also been look at the Coolemaster Cosmos S but that could too be really noisy.

I suppose at the end of the day, I'll have to put up with a bit of noise.

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sorry to take this quickly OT (I think all three btw... proper cable management will allow for better air flow, which increases the effectiveness of your fans and cooling, and less flappy cables and components not working as hard due to overheating will equal less noise).

But I saw this whilst browsing, and it fits this topic perfectly...

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

for me it's all three but I accidentally select "cooling" only. In general cable management effects cooling and the noise would probably the least important out of the three.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. greenbrucelee

Fire fire heh heh :)

11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

This is extremely funny. How long could a PC survive like that?! :lol:

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  12. greenbrucelee

I think I have finally decided on a case after weeks of reading reviews and comparing stats. I'm gonna go fo the Antec 1200.

13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

It's all three for me. There are so many things to balance up when selecting a case.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I couldn't care less about how loud it is. In fact, I like being able to hear it: I want to know audibly when a fan dies.

Bad cable management can impede cooling... but if I could have only one, I'd choose cooling.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!