Converting your Parallels VM's to WMWare Fusion

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by simongrahamuk, Jun 30, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Now I know that not many of you use Mac's but I do, and I wanted to share this with you in case any of you 'switch' in future.

For those of you that don't know Parallels is a Virtual Product like VMWare or Virtual PC, but it is for the Mac. VMWare Fusion is VMWares new product for the Mac.

As we all know VMWare is largely regarded as the best virtualisation provider there is so I decided to give the new Fusion product a try. I encountered one problem, I already have 6 VM's built on Parallels, and no way to convert them across.

After some googling (well about 30 seconds) I came across a way to convert them that is, well quite straight forward really. You run the conversion from within the Virtual Machine itself! Quite clever really!

Here's the link to how to do it.

I've converted one XP PC over already without any problems. The only problem that I do have though is that it doesn't work with Vista VM's yet, which it the main VM that I wanted to convert! :rolleyes:

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the link :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009