Converting music casettes to IPOD

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Jagunco, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

How wouldanyone go about this? Any recorders that let your transder a music casette to hard drive?

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi there Jagunco

There is a program called Audio grabber and i think you can get it from download.com. Its pretty good to use and will get all your tapes on to your hd. When doing it though make sure you compress the files as other wise you will get a rather big file for something that should only be about 3.5 mb etc

The quality of your tapes could do with being good as i did one that had loads of backgraound noise in and i couldnt clear it up

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. shambles

shambles Guest

I think you might find that Audiograbber is for ripping music from CD. What you need is CoolEdit or Audacity or something similar. But they ain't cheap!

I occasionally use a very elderly version of CoolEdit to record and process ancient vinyl and cassette tape. It's a long process getting a half-decent recording (you record 1:1) and even longer sorting out the background noise to any sensible standard. But, with a bit of frequency filtering and cutting, it is possible to come up with something that sounds at least as good as the rubbish quality you get from i-tunes!

To be completely honest though, it is such a pain, that unless you are re-mastering something that will never be re-released on CD, it is hardly worth the effort. I assume there may be all sorts of copyright considerations too...

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Of course you could buy something like Roxio Easy media suite.
    This will allow you to rip tapes, records etc to your hd as mp3's and take out any pops, crackles and hisses. It is also a full DVD copying / recording suite ect so over the top for just ripping music.
    Any audio recoding software would do, all ya need is to connect the headphoe socket ofthe tape deck to the line in socket of your sound card / motherboard.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

No i used audio grabber to get a mix from a tape onto my hd and found it easy to use

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. shambles

shambles Guest

I'll look at that - I've used it for 5 or 6 years, and had no idea it could do that!

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's it, in a nutshell. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er <cough> Audacity is indeed not 'cheap'. It's free!

And is absolutely brilliant!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Idealy you shouldn't use the headphone socket for recording, as the levels and impedances are wrong. However, it is frequently the case on less expensive gear that headphone sockets are the only output, so you have no choice.

I haved a fairly recent Sony casette deck that I keep for just this reason. It produces *very* good results from crappy tapes.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. shambles

shambles Guest

Confused 'Audacity' with 'Audition'.... :oops: