controlling the order of which programs start 1st - help

Discussion in 'Software' started by boots2k, Mar 21, 2008.

1. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

I use msconfig, but i want to choose which programs get to come on 1st.

cheers

Simon

WIP: MCDST
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Why do you want to control the order in which the programs start?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

I am aware that its best to have only what you need in msconfig for performance and startup responsive ness.

But lets say I want to open a web page as quick as poss and have my broadband be given priority over all else as i start up the pc. Is there a list I can control the order?
    If the net and its required h/w & s/w components are not things in them selves, unlike programs then what about programs can I control the order?

thanks for you time

4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Anything in the "start menu > Startup folder" is opened upon boot up and these are done in the order that they appear in the list.

As for hardware, anything not OS controlled, starts before the OS has finished loading, anything that is software controlled like USB devices start as soon as they can if they already connected - I can't think of a way to stop that happening - apart from disabling the devices/ports.

Software, remove the exe via msconfig and then adding it to the start-up folder would put things in order. Failing that, write a batch file that opens certain programs after x amount of time and put that in the start-up folder?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

thanks

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There *is* some ordering in the startup system which is controlled by entries in the Registry. But you tamper with this at your peril.

A whole lot of stuff has to be started before a web-browser will work. Trying to change the startup order here *will* break things.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+