Contract emloyment.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Big_nath, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,
    I have been looking for a new job, and i see alot of contract jobs. I have never worked as a contracted employee. I have been told i should go with an umbrella company. I have been recommended this one http://www.redego.co.uk. Can anyone tell me more about how it works? is it recommended? Is it effectively self employment? Is there anyone who is currently working like this? Is there financial/Tax benifits?

Any help or advice would be helpful.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Google for a site called "Contractor UK", ignore the willy waving that goes on in the forums and you will find some good info for first time contractors.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. tommyboy

tommyboy New Member

just thought I'd let you know I came across RedEgo on this site called umbrellasupermarket.com. I came across it a couple of months ago and used it to pick the best company for me. I think it's a pretty good place to check your options out, but I've only been a temp for 3 months so what do I know (is what my dear colleagues would say):D

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing Tommy:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Just another umbrella company, nothing special here, in fact this thread borders on spam in my mind...

6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies. So is it a contract a recommended option? Its just the money seems better.

7. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Why? :dry

WIP: A+
  8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Because there is nothing to reccomend this company over any other umbrella company, there is no disscussion on why you might even use an umbrella, what the pros and cons are etc. As such this thread is little more than an advert.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I don't think there is any spamming in this thread, Tommy was just giving his thoughts on the subject and the site he used to find a suitable umbrella company for himself.

10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

How does he know its suitable ? How did he come to this conculsion ? Wheres the reasoning ? All thats been mentioned so far is two companies and their web sites, so far this is just a blatant plug. Wheres the informed debate ?

I might as well start a thread on how I like Marks and Sparks underpants or McVitees taste great, can someone send me some free Stella if I plug them too ?

At least with that thread I'd have at least evaluated the product on some level and therefore be able to express a reasoned opinion.

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think you need to go and chill out, report the post if you think it's spam.

12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you read Big Naths own post he admits hes NEVER been a contractor. Therefore he cannot reccomend any such company.

Do your due dilligence find out what the options are, why have you been reccomended this ?

Normally umbrellas are reccomended to those who are unsure they want to stay contracting and just want to take one short term contract or people from overseas whose stay in the country again may be limited.

First then I'd reccomend deciding if your are serious about contracting or not, do you think you can regularly get work, can you cover all your expenses ? Can you cover several months without work ? Go to contractor.co.uk and similar sites and research what it means to be a contractor.

Read around the subject, yes you are effectively self employed. Normally people go contracting to be more business like about pursuing work and getting the full benefits from work. Its only reccomended if you want to be self employed, many people are better off in permanent positions. Yes there are many people currently working like this. Yes there are financial benefits, you can claim expenses, you can claim VAT back.

13. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

You want to sink a few chill pills dude, after reading through the original post 5-6 times im still pretty certain that it is asking for advice, and I don't see anywhere that Big_nath recommends any sites.

To me he appears to be querying this possible career option as he knows nothing about it and wants the opinions of people he thinks might tell him the honest answer, not flame him.
    Like him I know nothing about contracting or umbrella companies, and if i did want to know I would probably query it on here. If people didn't feel they wanted to contribute then that would be their choice.

WIP: A+
  14. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I am indeed asking for advice. I only mentioned that site because that is only one i have been told about. I just wanted to know if people recommend this way of work and for advice and info about the subject.
    There has obviously been some kind of confusion.