Continuing with 70-680 / 70-685/6

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Jaron78, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Good Afternoon Chaps,

recently failed the 70-680 twice (My own fault, bogged down with work, not enough studying time and kept putting it off).
    Now I was looking at an MCITP but as this expires in July, it is very unlikely I will be able to sit and pass both exams in time due to work and personal commitments.

However, I was just curious as to peoples opinions on if its still worth taking both exams? Currently working in Service Desk and there is a good chance that after our office move in August all the staff will be going over to Win 7 anyway?

Thanks,

Ron

2. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

I would do one or the other, speaking from experience and needing 70-680 (win 7) as a designate OS was good, there would only be a variation on those exams anyway.

Certifications: BSc Computing, A+, N+, MCITP Enterprise
    WIP: MD-100
  3. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

The name 'MCITP' expires in July but those exams are valid until July 2014. So you still have plenty of time.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), Network+, MCSA:2003, MCTS:Win7,640,642
    WIP: 70-410
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Take a look here for my previous post on this subject. http://www.certforums.com/forums/wi...d-professional-eda-edst7-end-date-change.html

These particular MCITP's retire at the end of January 2014. More importantly, you will also now, and afterwards receive the MCSA: Windows 7.

The exams themselves will still be pertinent (and available) until MS decide that Windows 7 is no-longer a viable Client OS option for businesses...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Excellent, thanks Chaps.

6. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

Here's a link for the retirement schedule for the exams
    Retired exams

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hmm, that's new, or at least new since I last looked!

Thanks for the heads-up...

That's rather bad news for business - no-one their right mind is going to upgrade to Win8 or 'Blue' or what ever it'll be called next for some time that I can see.

Personally, I think it's a mistake that the MCSA: Win7 will only be available for 6 months after the demise of the MCITP: EDA7 & EDST7.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  8. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

It does seem a bit fast and loose but Microsoft clearly has a plan. Even if it does end in catastrophe.

9. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

It really does look like Microsoft has a hard-on to force everyone on to Windows 8 killing the Windows 7 qualifications. It also looks like MCSE qualifications won't be once achieved it stay for life (unless I missed that from earlier ones) with Microsoft now saying you'll have to take a recertification every 3 years.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
    WIP: CCENT / CCNA
  10. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

No thanks Microsoft, hopefully the practical experience I pick up on the next new job I get will make up for it as oppose to become re-certified its taken me nearly a year but I've worked HARD for it and can see the light at the end of the tunnel if anything the next logical step (for me) would be to do Exchange 2013 or specialize in an area.

Certifications: BSc Computing, A+, N+, MCITP Enterprise
    WIP: MD-100
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I've got 4/5 clients already pushing out Win 8 on any new client machines. In fact I even had to do upgrades on two older (but still very capable) machines for one client.

I'm seeing better performance on some laptops and desktops with Win 8 than from identical hardware with 7 installed as it goes...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

I have to agree with you Josiahb about the performance, we ran a few tests just to try it out and it does out perform Win7 with the same hardware. Still will not be adopting it in any hurry.

13. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

so just took a look at the M$ cert website and MCSA 2008 expires January 31st, 2014. Didn't think that it was going to be that quick. (its under exams scheduled for retirement within 12 months section)

14. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I would say that M$ are doing their best to 'close' the current MCSA certs that they are offering based on the 'old' MCITP exams as soon as possible.

That and the fact that their new ideas are to retire exams once the next iteration of the technology is established (true now of both Windows 7 --> 8 and Server 2008 --> 2012).

15. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I am stuck at a cross-roads on all this also, I have been struggling with the 70-680 and have only recently (this week) started to get focused on going through the material... is it therefore just worth me looking at the Windows 8 exams and not bothering with Win7. Obviously I can still note on my CV that I know how to deploy & configure Windows 7 as I have been doing this for a while now.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  16. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

That is indeed a nonsensical move, so one can only conjecture it is a marketing related strategy as they cannot seriously think Windows 7/Server 08 have lost their appeal to employers already.

It's a real pain having to change study plans and order of training in order to make these arbitrary deadlines, but it's what I'm definitely having to do now.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  17. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have spoken to some friends and they all tell me that I should remain focused on the 70-680 /685, and then do Win8 after that as it's going to look better to know Win7 and Win8 rather than just Win8

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  18. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Looks like the 680/685/686 exams have been given a reprieve.

As they now NO-LONGER appear on the list of exams that are being retired - this list is supposed to show all exams retiring during the next 12 months and, as noted above in an earlier post here, were entered on the list to be retired on July 31st 2014. They have since been removed...
    Until when though, who knows..?

19. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Just seen that on there now. They are chopping and changing far too much for my liking!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  20. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

With my current email to-ing and fro-ing in mind, Microsoft have certainly levered themselves into an area of uncharted water.

The self imposed cross-roads of their race to put the MCTS & MCITPs behind them has certainly raised some questions that, it seems, they are currently struggling to answer...