Continue with N+ or change to MCSA

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Colloghi, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I love the IT industry, I love the way technology changes so quickly, and love how the industry in general changes so quickly..............

But NOT the recent Comptia changes,.......

I passed my A+, MCP and MCDST last year, and had been working towards the N+ with a view to head on into the MCSA after the N+. Up to xmas, i layed off the homework for a bit and concentrated on developing my role at work, learning all the crazy contract specific processes for this and that and working on my support and admin skills.

Back after Xmas, Ive felt Im reaching a point where my Learning on the desk is comming to a halt, and so ive been looking to move into our network admin roles within our company. So, ive been getting back into my studying, and whilst im enjoying the N+, and feel I have a very good understanding of most things. Im kinda concerned with the recent N+ changes, and wondering if im kinda wasting my time and money towards gaining certifcation.

Im wondering if the time and the effort would be better working towards my MCSA, something which upon certfification, will my increase my promotion chances at work, meaning ill have a better role, and more money for the wifes shoes:)

I was mainly taking the N+ to give me a better understanding of networks, and did dilly dally before starting to study for it, about just doing the MCSA, particulary the cost of the N+. But then I thought, it will look good on my CV at the same time, and after all its for LIFE.....

well it was...........at the time.

Im guess Im kinda typing out my thoughts here and I guess I am swinging towards doing the MCSA, and just studying the elements of the N+ alongside it...............its strange how sometimes you type for advice and it seems clearer.

Anyhow

Just some advice, does this seem like a logical answer, or am i just waffling because Im high on Coffee and the two Tevez goals last night:D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend the Network+ and then the MCSA... but it sounds like you've already made up your mind and just want someone to give you confirmation. ;)

Remember, certification isn't so you can learn new things... it's to show an employer what you can do. If you don't think you need the Network+ for that, then skip it. If you can afford the exam fees, then why not? Every advantage helps, and you said you want to learn it anyway...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I fully agree that you can learn the stuff. It'll be really useful to you; however, given the recent changes (as you've said yourself) around certification/recertification policy at CompTIA I would personally caution throwing money at the exam. It is a lot of cash for something that lasts no more than 3 years before you need to recertify.

4. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Talking of which I have just thrown away my cash as I took the CompTIA N+ exam only last month, wish I'd known about this change before :x
    This will change a lot things nowI suppose, and far as you have the knowledge that relates to the topics on CompTIA certs, I would rather gain knowledge on them but go for MC certs

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Im gonna have a chat with my manager and a network admin guy at work, who had been helping me through progressing my career in my current employer. I am still swaying towards taking the MCSA and studying the Network + material.............but I guess its something that may be clearer tommorow:D

6. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

FYI you can use the A+ and N+ to count as your elective exam in the MCSA so if you have both of those then you only need to do another 3 exams for the mcsa rather than the 4.

Either way you will have to do 4 but I guess if youve already started the N+ it might be less work for you to finish it than start a new one

Certifications: A+ N+
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Colloghi already has MCDST as an elective. He can use the £200 which would have been for the N+ exam and put it towards the 70-270 and 70-290.

Colloghi will need good knowledge of networking for the 70-291, I would reccomend the CBT Nuggets for N+ (or similar) and then the MS training kit for 70-291.

This should be adequate to get the MCSA, especially if he has support and mentoring at work !

The MCSA will last for life unlike the N+ !

Updating an A+ with an N+ has some advantages but will also up the amount of CEU's you need to keep your certification current longer term.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

If you are a good bit through it, there is no harm in completing the book and then not take the exam. alot of people mentioned on here that it is a good book to learn and helps alot when do latter certifications to get the MCSA.

It all depends on if you are strapped for timewise?

I am going to continue to do mine and then see how much cash i have at the end. I will probably take the exam as it will also update my A+ cert.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  9. CraigH

CraigH New Member

I agree with many of the previous posts. I'm in the process of updating my Network+ to the new 2009 syllabus.

CompTIA quals are really well received everywhere - so I would definitely finish this one. And the MCSA is a fairly gentle step-up from this. I've got both and I wouldn't say I'm particularly clever!

I'm also prep'ing for my MCSE (and I'm looking at doing the 70-649 MCTS server 2008 upgrade also)

Certifications are a fact of life in IT. You can't avoid 'em!

Just go with the flow and find a learning method that works for you!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA
  10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive spoken to a variety of people at work and my manager and the general consensus is Comptia Network exam would kinda be a waste of money and wouldnt really help me progress into our next line of support. In fact if anything, as hard as some people will find it to believe, it has actually been delaying my progress by concentrating my studies on the N+. Where as the MCSA combined with what knowledge/experience I have at the moment, would progress me

So I think taking everything into consideration, Im going to focus my attention and money mainly on 70-270 exam. The N+ would look nice on my cv, and it would be nice to have it from a personal prospective, but having a cert which will fall off my CV and not really do anything to the progression of my career..............seems a bit like the CLAIT course I done many moons ago. I will continue to fill the gaps I have on certain network issues, but i feel ive got a good grasp on most of the Networking fundamentals. i was planning to take the N+ sometime next month. .....but at least now ill have near the same amount of money for two MCSA modules:)