Content monitors

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Oct 3, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Can any one recommend a good Content blocking / monitor program? I want to make sure soem web sites are blocked from teh kids when they use the net. I tried net nanny but couldnt get along with it, it let through most sites i tried that i'd ratehr were blocked. It also preferably needs to be free, easy to use, and able to be passworded.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

securus is a good piece of software for monitoring security violations, although its not free and doesn't do blocking. its great for monitoring inapropriate use of things though.

something like ipcop is also good for black list / white list proxying, other than that the only thing that I have any experience with is ISA.

3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hmm they don't really sound liek what i need Si. It does have to be web site blocking software. Need to stop pron sites etc so teh kids cant get at em, either by design or acciedent.

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Twizzle,
    If you were to use OpenDNS and set up an account, it will allow you to block sites.

HTH

NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I to am looking for a good content blocker is this a trial version, I am at work at the moment and cant download it to see.

WIP: C++ and A+
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

No it is free. You basically configure your PC's/Router with the Open DNS dns addresses and all requests are passed through their servers. If you create an account then it allows you to block certain categories of sites, i.e gambling etc, and also block individual domains.
    There is more info here.

Cheers

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not a particularly scalable or, I'm guessing, acceptable solution for an educational establishment.

I think you should look at Squid abd its related plugins - its not exactly easy for the uninitiated to set up, but can run on a reasonably low-spec box and is very, very well supported by the open source community. I understand that a LOT of educational establishments have been using Squid for years (the biggest motivational aspect for this is that it is free!)

Just to clarify - Squid is a proxy - whilst you can do basic site filtering within it by editing its config, there are plugins for it that perform all manner of filtering functionality (SquidGuard, DansGuardian etc).

How many people are you looking to implement it for?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

In your school, are you on a RM network? At our school we use securas paired with RM Smartcache.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  9. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I want todo teh same as Mof, i have 4 pcs ona home network and need to block sites on at least 2 of them. I dont want something that will block acess on all pcs (hey i want some pron you know! :) ) but will allow me to run it on one of the pcs and block sites from Firefox or IE on that one.

Net nanny looked ok, but still let through waaaaaay too many adult sites. It didnt seem to block them even if i had selected addresses with xxx in them.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - my mistake - I had assumed you were in education when you said 'the kids' :oops:

Squid is definitely overkill for what you want to do then!

12. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Me too, lol.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I got it running in my house, although most of my setup is OTT :D, Squid VM

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

VM? Pah. Up until six months ago I had it running an an old 486! It was up solid for nearly a year and a half at one point and never fell over. Mind you all it was doing was proxying me and the wife - not too much to worry about there!

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Did some Googling and came up with this - no idea if it's any good or not but says it's free so might be worth a go.

HTH

:)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Lol while I don't run this vm myself, this was more intended to be a try before you buy type answer. :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

any of these machines using vista? you could use parental controls.

18. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

no they all run xp pro. trying to get vista on one soon.

19. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

20. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Love the avatar what ever happened to the running van, sorry back to topic, No, XP on all mine to.