Content Filtering

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by AJ, May 4, 2007.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As I work in a school, we have to be very careful what the kids are allowed to see and go to on the internet. At the moment we use a Navaho Proxy Server running through an ISA firewall. Navaho is Ok but works out quite expensive. I am looking at alternatives for our content filtering and proxy.

At the moment Surf Control, web sense and something that has been recommended Bloxx.

Not heard of Bloxx before, but it certainly looks good and from what I've heard is very competitive and well priced.

Has anyone got any others to try or recommend ?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Have you never tried Squid+squidguard.
    I use to install it in the schools and biblios
    Nico

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I know that a lot of schools use a linux soultion using IPCOP which seems to work quite well.

BLOXX is one that I looked into here, but decided it wasn't needed purely on cost. It is a hardware soultion though, so you wouldn't need to install it onto one of your existing servers.

Smoothwall also seems to be a popular choice in schools.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

AJ

Depends really on what route you want to go. Open Source there are lots of alternatives, but most require a high level of understanding of what you're doing. That said, I run Squid at home and its a doddle to set up. You'd obviously need something more robust and configurable for a school environment, since most of the little gits will spend hours attmepting to bypass your filters...

If you have the budget for it, I'd suggest SurfControl. It's what I use in my current role and, whilst it can be an utter nightmare retaining historical data when things go wrong (database crashes are a frickin nightmare) its very easy to get up and running and easy to fix when it does keel over.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

There's only one thing that puts me off Surfcontrol - The amount of spam snail mail they send me! :dry

7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff