Considering doing the A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by AndyStoke, Nov 7, 2010.

1. AndyStoke

AndyStoke New Member

Ive just finished my Business Management degree but had a bit of a turn around and want to get back into IT. Im always fiddling with computers.. hardware and software and could see myself doing it as a job and want to become a computer technician. My question really is how do i get into it....im 25 and havn't had a career yet and like i said ive just finished my business management degree. I've had a look about on the net and found that the comp TIA A+ is reconised as the industry standard for being a computer technician - From there you need to build up more certs? which? Is anyone here done the CompTIA A+? Was it a good investment? Are there any other paths i could look at getting into an ICT related job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

welcome Andy.

hopefully what I say will be echoed by others.

The A+ will almost certainly not get you a job on its own. What it will do is give you a good grounding on the knowledge required to get on the IT ladder. The general concensus here is do your A+, the Network +, then look at a Microsoft cert, namely MCDST.

If you have already got some experience with pc's the A+ should not be too taxing for you.

Th evast majority of bods on here seem to have self-studies, so thats the way to go. :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  3. AndyStoke

AndyStoke New Member

cheers for a swift reply! I just read some posts and yeah the consensus being tha A+ followed by the N+ then like you say the MCDST. I think what i'll do is buy the latest Myers book (7th edn.) and swat up and see where that takes me. In the mean time put my business degree to use and get a job!

4. AndyStoke

AndyStoke New Member

how about prices aswell? Im having trouble finding genuing prices for each exma on the A+. Having a look at the compita site, its stating 114 pounds for each, is this correct?

5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I am trying to get into it myself but i went about it the wrong way i got my ccna first. This seems to be too high a cert for entry level. So from advice from this forum i am getting A+ N+ and MCDST just have the MCDST to do. A+ does cover alot of ground but its not too hard if you put your mind to it. It seems to be the standard starting point, good luck.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  6. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats

Apply for jobs... Took me 5 years, but I finally got my foot in the door when I was trying to get in.

You don't have to, but gaining a few entry level ones won't hurt. Like the MCDST, the Microsoft Technology Associate exams, the Network+.

Yes, work paid for it at the time. I believe it was a good investment.

Volunteering, networking with IT Professional (eg joining a professional association like the BCS or the IET, utilising forums like Certforums, Edugeek and using professional networking sites like Linkedin), applying for graduate training courses and/or apprenticeships and by applying for every IT related job that suits you.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the A+ is £114 + VAT you have to register with pearsonvue or prometric to take the exam. However you can get discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com and you use the voucher to pay pearsonvue (gracetech only do vouchers for pearsonvue).

When I did my A+ the vouchers were £107 each with no VAT to pay so thats quite a good saving.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Keep in mind that I believe the MCDST goes away early next year so there is not a great of time left for it!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple