Considering a move...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by faulknerm, Dec 29, 2008.

1. faulknerm

faulknerm New Member

Evening all,

I'm currently working in a 1st/2nd line telephone support position with a major IT retailer, and I'm considering my options in terms of career progression etc.

I currently earn £16k basic plus performance related bonuses which this year (my first with the company) are worth about £6k, bringing my gross annual to £22k. All in all I don't think this is a bad salary, especially as I am only 20, have 2 years IT support experience (the first was very much 1st line as well)and my qualifications are limited to MCDST and MCITP and a few vendor specific courses.

I'm currently studying for the CCNA cert and I'd like to move into a more network oriented role.

I've stumbled across a support position with a relatively small ISP, on a pay scale from £17k to £25k + bonuses and I've requested the application pack, which arrived today. I'm considering submitting my application, however I am concerned that the fact I've not stayed with my current employer for more than a year may prejudice me, and will not look great on my CV in future.

One other consideration is that the job would mean me moving over 100 miles from where I am currently living, however it would put me closer to my family which if certainly not a bad thing.

I guess what I'm really looking for is a "would you" sort of response. :)

Thanks,

Marc

Certifications: MCP, MCDST,
    WIP: CCNA, MCITP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I guess it would depend on alot of things. If I wanted to be closer to my family, the cost of living, etc... Then I would really look at the job itself... working for a small ISP, what kind of work will you be doing? What about career progression? What can they offer you that your last place couldn't? And the list goes on & on...

Have you thought about a "pro & con" list?

Me personally, I would have to say "no", but then again I have my own reasons. I have a family and to move 100 miles, uprooting my family for £1k more basic and unknown bonus (heck at this point in my life, if I were to change jobs it would take more than a couple of grand for me to move), plus the uncertainly of what kind of future career prospects, added to the current job market and companies closing, would not be sensible - but that's just me.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess it depends on the cost of living, the cost for you to move, the quality of the area you'd be moving to, the commute, etc. Like Ken, it'd take more than £1k for me to move - and I'd be less likely to do so when the bonuses with the new company are more unclear.

Can short employment stints be a warning sign to an employer? Most definitely. Sure, most places don't expect you to stay long in your first IT job... after all, good employees tend to move onward and upward out of entry-level. But don't make it a habit, or you'll pick up a reputation as a job hopper.

I had four jobs between Feb '98 and May '01 (doubling my salary from my first to my third IT job - who could blame me?). As a result, I almost didn't get a job I *really* wanted because of the "job hopper" reputation I had picked up - the employer even told me so! Ultimately, they gave me the job... which I stayed at for the next 4 1/2 years.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you can get the full £25k then that is a good salary for two years IT experiance.

Worth a shot.... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm more with the other guys - I would want the 'new' place to clarify their bonus structure and progression.

You haven't mentioned what progression you potentially have at your current place - are they quite proactive on training, or did you have to go about getting the majority of your certs yourself?

TBH, 6K of bonuses sounds like a hell of a lot - but this may simply be to 'soften' the blow of the poor-looking basic wage for second line work. Think of it in this line - the country is in a bit of a pickle financially (to put it sarcastically) and you're basic line is 16K. If and when you get pay reviews, any percentage increase will only be against your base line, not your base line plus bonuses. As an 'extra' your bonuses are likely to be susceptible to review at any point during the current economic climate.

The ISP job has a better basic salary - but only just if you get the bottom line - and the same potential bonus pitfall. You'd also be the 'noob' until you're passed the magical six months - so if they were looking for lay-offs they may well normally look first at the new kids.

If you're in a financial position where you can take the risk - stop with family or similair until the job is stable, for example - then go for it. Hell, you've got age on your side, so why not.

I wouldn't worry about the less than a year factor, personally. Less than six months would probably start off warning bells, but nigh on a year is decent service, and again, you're quite young - nothing wrong with moving around to get the experience you need for the future.

Let us know what you decide :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

It's a difficult question to answer.

I was recently asked to attend an interview for a job paying 10K more than I'm currently on. However, it involved travelling around the UK as a 2nd Line Deskside Support Engineer. Spending a week in one place then another.

This information was not in the Advert and I turned down the interview.

The reason for this is I was in a highley paid job previously and used to work long hours and spend time away from the family, which was a major influence for me to start working in IT.

Would I 'uproot' my family and move 100 miles, well I wouldn't do it for an extra 10K, perhaps if I was back earning £60K a year plus again, I would consider it. But that would only be a consider.

Just depends on whats important to you.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5