Connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Sep 1, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

OK mate it won't be till Tuesday now because Doctor/user is off on holiday until tuesday, the office is locked:(

Funny really, I was on another job replacing 4 CRT with 4 TFT. I asked the users in the office if they had the keys to the lock in the office and they said yes!

Yet when I got there I found those keys are locked in a office and that person is on holiday! So I walk back to IT to find the spares:rolleyes:

If they had only told me this over the phone it would of saved a lot of time and walking:rolleyes: :(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cached profile perhaps?

The next time you speak to one of the engineers try and find out a bit more about the network config, DHCP scope, gateway I.P and DNS Servers etc. This will help you with troubleshooting as you can ping, assign a static I.P and generally try some other things safe in the knowledge that something on the network isn’t locked down or offline. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Simon, I did what you said and it still didn't work. Lot's of people pointing fingers at me because I'm the new guy:(

The blame has been put onto my sholders because they think I haven't built it correctly!:rolleyes:

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I foulnd out today the reason why it says limited connectivity is the the DHCP server will not reset itself and therefore any new RIS machines with their new guid address are not found on the server!

So that's sorted but I've got another problem I recently installed a pc, but the networkpoints are approx. over 5 metres away from the PC. I used a standard 6m Rj45 cable, but I can't get a stable connection.

One of the other IT tech's says if the cable is too long it won't pick up a solid signal? I have used a Pinger to test the points and it shows 100mbps through the point. I have changed the cable and to another 6M but get the same problem!

Advise please!

Does it matter how long network cables are and does this effect the rate data that is carried down the cable or is this IT tech talking crap? :blink

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

CAT5 cable has a limit of 100 meters before it needs a booster of some sort. So unless the distance from the PC to the the nearest switch/hub then you may get a dodgy signal. I have had a CAT5 cable longer than 100 M but not by much.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

UCM just being pedantic but the cable is not RJ45, the cable is CAT5 UTP (unshielded twisted pair) or you can just call it a network cable It is the plugs on each end that are RJ45.

As AJ said the length is not the problem here.

Can you explain further what you mean exactly by *I can't get a stable connection* :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Ok I will try but it's difficult being new to this Network jargon!
    When I ask what type of server they use here the staff speak so fast I have to ask the question again and that's when I hear a grinding teeth noise followed by a heavy sigh.

I was told its a Hydra server
    it's part Unix part Cisco and the network runs through a DNS server. Now here i am a bit sketchy! Because the network name I can't spell but it beigins with V!

Oh my god! I'm having a blonde moment:blink

8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Could it be anything to do with interference from something with it being UTP cable

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house