connection problem

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by brizzoluk, Feb 15, 2009.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi
    I have a friends pc who is having problems connecting to the internet so i said i'd have a look at it.
    I have it connected at the mo through my virgin broadband modem and the modem is online but on launching internet explorer it just comes up with "this page can not be displayed" i have ran the windows xp network diagnosis and it has come back with "there is a problem with the winsock provider catolog" so i have run out of ideas erm!!

any ideas guys?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you checked the machine for malware, or viruses? What Service Pack are you running? And what firewall are you running? Also, have there been any changes to the machine recently?

3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like virus / malware but this may help........

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Also try downloading a free trail from Kaspersky / Nortons
    Use the file download virus definitions.

Pop these on a USB stick & install them on suspect PC.
    Then run a full system scan.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Here's another winsock repair tool, with a good explanation as to why you might need it.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies.
    I have solved the problem it was caused by malware which i have removed and it is connecting ok now i will install that winsock repair tool too thanks for that.
    Its a pretty old pc and was in a right state i have spent the last few hours scanning the system with various anti virus/malware tools and found lots of problems which i have now got rid of.
    Its running xp home edition which i have now updated as well.
    It is still running very slow im trying to take into account the age of the pc as my own pc is top notch so its bound to seem slow but i'll defrag the hard drive tomorrow as im sure its never been done (i asked her if she defragments it at all and she had never heard of it lol)
    I also opened up the case and was amazed at what i saw, absolute piles of dust and cobwebs everywhere!!
    So i have given that a good clean out too.

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)