Connection is shot..

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Missy, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi my connection to dial-up is all to pot, it disconnect me sometimes every 30 seconds and it's really doing my head in, cant wait for the Broadband and Win 2000, I have copied this to see if you whizz kids out there can see if there's anything wrong, I know it's problely no use , but you cant knock a girl for trying.
    Connection Preference Never dial
    EnableHttp1.1 1
    ProxyHttp1.1 0

LAN Settings

AutoConfigProxy wininet.dll
    AutoProxyDetectMode Enabled
    AutoConfigURL
    Proxy Disabled
    ProxyServer
    ProxyOverride http://localhost

Tesco.net (Default)

AutoProxyDetectMode Enabled
    AutoConfigURL
    Proxy Disabled
    ProxyServer
    ProxyOverride
    Internet programs to use connection Yes

Maximum Attempts 10
    Wait Between Attempts 5
    AutoDisconnect Disabled
    Disconnect Idle Time 20

Modem Motorola SM56 Voice Modem
    Dial-Up Server PPP

Log on to Network No
    Enable Software Compression Yes
    Require Encrypted Password No
    Require Data Encryption No

Network Protocols TCP/IP

Use Server Assigned IP Address Yes
    IP Address 0.0.0.0
    Use Server Assigned NameServer Yes
    NameServer Addresses Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Primary WINS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary WINS: 0.0.0.0

Use IP Header Compression Yes
    Use Default Gateway Yes

Script File Name

Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Missy,

If i were you I would delete the current (tesco?) account and check for Spyware and virus'.
    If all Ok I would then create a new account with another ISP and see what happens. Oh, it might be worth going into device manager to see if the modem is ok. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I think most likely you'll find that it's because your current ISP is sh1t. Having worked for an ISP in the past (who shall remain nameless), I know what it's like when you try to put too many people in the one network. It's most probably a case of not so much that their network (or the 3rd party network that Tesconet buy space from) can't accomodate so much traffic at any given time, and when their RADIUS and accounting systems reach capacity, then innocent (paying) users start getting randomly bumped off the service.

If you are a masochist, you can try tackling them on this issue, but chances are you will die of exhaustion before they admit to this.

Hang out for ADSL - you'll have a lesser degree of gripes with that ! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Your right about the ISP lol
    I was brave enough to tackle them and there tech team (so called) And the answer I got was if your inactive for a long period of time it will cut you off, I said when i'm on line I am active "no comments please keep it clean ":-) I said it cuts me after 2mins. I told them this was a tactic to get people off 'anytime' and onto Broadband' O we would never do that, O no. in the end they wormed out of it.
    Anyway as i was coming in to read your reply it disconnected again Then this came up;
    "A fatal exception OD has occured at 0028:CB978B80,The current application will be terminated" then it crashed i waited 7mins and nothing happened so i rebooted.
    I have another question:On my desktopI have icon that say's
    "conectar con el dialer de prueba" My friend said when he bought it it was already on, we have both tryed to get rid of it, I deleted it, I went into Add/Remove and did it thier but when i restarted the com it was back, it is actually at the top of the Start Menu ?
    Missy

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

hhhmmm - how much do you trust your friend ? I think you really need to format your PC to fully get rid of the sh1T that's on there. Can (s)he do this for you (or are you up for the challenge yourself) ?

There are nasty things on there that are continuing to cause you headaches, and it's probs best to get shot of them before you even enter broadband world.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Gav. I think you have inherited someone else's problems.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

She is a he, and no he would be no good, you've got me worried now and no i'm not sure i know what to do myself.:-(
    I have Adware, Zone Alarm and AVG god how much stuff do you need to put on these's things, no more please :-(
    What about the Icon then ?
    Missy

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My guess is that when the offending software was installed, it created an entry in the Registry that results in it being reinstalled at boot. I'm no Registry hacker so I wouldn't be able to tell you want to look for. I suspect Phoenix or one of the others would be able to make a suggestion, though.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'd say it's probably memory resident so that when the files are deleted it just recreates them at shutdown and then starts itself up at boot time again. That's how a lot of the malware works. That's why it takes some major work to get rid of it.

Missy, download HiJackthis. It's about a 2 megabyte download so it will take a while on dialup, especially if you're getting cut off. Then unzip the file and run the program. To do that all you'll have to do is double click it. Then post what it says here. To do that just select the log that it prints out and copy and paste it into a forum post.

We should be able to find the malware and get rid of it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1