Connection dropping problems

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by michael78, Aug 16, 2007.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

since moving to a new house I've had problems with the internet being a little bit of a nightmare. The problem is that the internet connection drops and I have to switch the modem off and on and it works again. Thinking it was the modem I got a replacement Netgear one (same model) and it still happens. Could this as I suspect be a problem with my telephone wiring and how can you test it. As I say it always kicks into life with a reboot.

At present I have an extension lead running off the main telephone box going upstairs into the bedroom and from there I've installed another extension lead running from the bedroom into my computer room. I've wired it up properly but think that this might be the problem having too many extension leads running off each other and causing the quality to be reduced.

Any help much appreciated...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you pretty much answered your question there mate, with the amount of extension cables running about the place. I remember when working at BT broadband and informing customers that the longer the cables the more connection drop outs you will get. try and move the PC near the main socket if you can try and the connection from there and see if u get the same problem. If u do, then its likely the phone line, I would ring BT to test the line and also your ISP to test their connection to you. Good lick. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

sounds like the extension leads, have you also checked the filters ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yep. agree with whats been said. why dont you try moving the router to the telephone point, and using This for routing throughout the house?

I havent tried this out myself yet, so you may require a router at the other end(s) to get it to work. but if you still have your other router... well there you go!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The extensions may be causing the problem... but consider this...

...perhaps a reboot is causing your router to get a new DHCP address, which fixes the problem, temporarily?

Here's why I bring this up... I had a Netgear router that would drop because the DHCP lease was running out. I'd release/renew on the router, and it would grab a new address in a different subnet from a different DHCP server. Then it'd fail again (in an hour, a day, several days... no pattern), and a release/renew would get an address from the original DHCP server. I naturally thought one of their DHCP servers was failing, so I called up Charter Communications a couple of times and gave them grief about their DHCP servers not working.

The problem never resolved itself. Frustrated, I did some checking, and found that others were having the same problem. Further, a firmware update would fix the problem, and indeed, it did. No more drops. Perhaps you should download the latest firmware for yours and give it a shot, considering you also have a Netgear.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

definately connect directly in to the mastersocket when testing

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda Netgear do you have mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

BT have something called REN (ring equivalent number- I think!). Each device you plug in will have a REN value, ie 0.8

If your household reaches the limit or exceeds it then the line will be flaky.

DSL wise, your provider will usually ask the following;

* BT line test
    * Place the modem in the master socket with everything else disconnected
    * Report line noise (if stated in your device)
    * Time the connection is lost and if it is idle or not.

If it isn't too much of a pain being without them, then i would suggest disconnecting the extension leads and trying the router in the master socket. BT will charge for faults relating to your extensions- unless they fitted them of course!

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. michael78

Cheers for the replies guys, it's food for thought.

Michael, I did read that people were having problems with the router I've got and have upgraded the firmware to the latest version and it still drops from time to time. As you say it's pretty random. I might try a different router that I've got and give that a go. Personally I think it might be the dodgy wiring in my house thats to blame, as the bloke we bought the house from like his DIY and wasn't very good at it if you know what I mean...:x

Sparky, I think it's a DG834G model. I remember looking on forums a while back and a load of people were having problems with this model but it was mainly wireless related.

Boyce, cheers for the info mate I might give BT a ring and get the lot rewired properly if my wallet allows. We have cordless phones in the house and they are crackly so I think the wires are really bad in the house. Anyone know if this is expensive to get done???

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  10. michael78

Fergal, I looked at the power routers a while ago. It might be a viable option as they are meant to be really good now from when they were first released.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sly,

I believe there is a fixed charge per extension, but it is something in the £140 region! Depending on the size of your home, you might benefit from scrapping the extensions (just remove wires from Master) and buying a decent digital set-up.
    This is assuming you can plug your Netgear device straight in to the master...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Crap, was hoping that the firmware update woulda given you some love. My model is a WGR614. :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it possible to move the the router nearer the main phone socket and run a cat5 cable from the switch in the router to your PC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Failing everything else people have suggested there are a few things to look at..

1. If the DSL is new and you are on 8meg+ you may be going through the test stage to determine what speed your line can handle, during this disconnections are not to be seen as unexpected.

As contradictory as this is:

2. Also you might want to check with BT if the speed which your DSL is running at isn't too high for your line, I'm sure I remember somebody having line drops due to a connection speed to great for the quality of line in their home.

Just my 2 pennies etc.

P.S. I have skimmed this topic really but if nobody else has mentioned it: You can unscrew the front of the BT socket to reach a direct connection point, I was told to try this once when experience ping latency issues.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  15. markwillies

markwillies New Member

I faced the same problem. But then I set the spliters jack after the wire runs out of Sokect [Now it Identifys and Splits telephone line and NET Line]but still the telephone line is taken taken from new point. And if this does not solve your problem it means fult is from connection provider. when you boot the system and log-on call the Cust care so at the same time they will check the issue from there end. Most probably they will ask you to change the IP address and they will Re-boot / Refresh whatever your account from there side.

16. michael78

Food for thought guys, cheers for the replies. I'm going to try some of the ideas in the replies and see if it makes any difference...:D

17. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

just home from work and thought i would add my bit seeing as i had to quote a customer a minimum of £140 per extension socket and any time related charges on top basicaly if its more than an hour per socket the cost if not bad enough already just rockets, we usually tell people to get their local sparky to do the job as it will be cheaper

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It could be a static issue, I have the same router but have attached directly to the comp with a 15metre ethernet cable, I also live in a house thats 300 hundred years old and the wiring hasnt been touched since 1988 and I have never had problems with the phone lines.

So could be as BM said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Slypie,
    What terminals are wired in the back of the sockets. Only 2 & 5 are needed to be connected. Take a look here for suggestions regarding extension wiring.

HTH
    NB:)

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA