Connecting to the net

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Raffaz, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

How do ya go about getting a connection to the net on linux? im using fedora 5 and a wireless connection. Ive got my XP setup no probs but dont know where to start with this. Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Raffaz,

Are you trying to set up a wired or wireless ethernet connection or dial up?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you got connectivity within your local network, ie can you ping your router (if you have one) or any other box on your LAN?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Usually, setting up an Ethernet connection is a snap. I installed CentOS on one of my older machines yesterday. It detected that there was a DHCP server available, issued a dhcpoffer and the rest was history...instant Internet.

Wireless might be more of a chore (although my Linksys WLAN card "just worked" when I installed Ubuntu). Can you explain more in detail what the situation is?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Raffaz

Its a wireless connection on laptop and its ethernet. Got xp installation running with no problems, just not sure with linux

6. Raffaz

Xp is connecting fine on same laptop, its probably something simple i need to do but im a noob to linux so dont really know where to start.

7. Raffaz

Managed toget my wired connection going, but cant get the wireless to work, its made by broadcom. Dont know if its a driver problem or somethin, coz i cant turn it on with the wireless button on laptop.

Mick

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, think DORA - I would say it broadcast a DCHP Discover, your DHCP server replied with an Offer your Linux box replied to the now known DHCP server with a Request for that IP lease and your DHCP server Acknowledged that request - the rest is history :D

Sorry Trip, I couldn't help myself :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunately, the Linux kernel doesn't support every wireless card chipset under the sun. The following links should help you in your quest. Cheers.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html

http://www.goonda.org/wireless/

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2005/092605blass.html

EDIT: I'm adding this last one, "just for giggles"

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3382

If you are interested in similar items, visit the Linux-Tutorial news page frequently as I daily post numerous articles for the Linux learner.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Raffaz

Cheers for these links mate, il give them a try.

Mick

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Raffaz,

One other thing to bear in mind is encryption.
    I would knock it off and see if you can connect to the gateway. You need to enable the Wireless connection (either eth0 or eth1) from within network administration and set to DHCP.

By default, Ubuntu only offers WEP. It also doesn't seem to like Static addressing for some reason. When i first installed 5.06 (not the latest one) i was using static addressing on my network and it didn't like it. Changed to DHCP and all was well.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

raffaz,

First, you need to know which kernel you are running. To find this out when logged in just enter "uname -a" from a bash prompt. That will tell you what kernel you are running. The reason you need to know this is because a couple of the latest Linux kernels include a broadcom kernel module.

Next, to find out which broadcom chip you are running type "lspci" at the bash prompt. (Thats a lowercase L not an uppercase I.) This will give you a list of all pci-related hardware in your computer, including your wireless adapter.

Come back with that info and we will see what it will take to get your wireless up and running.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1