connecting router to switch?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Paul_o, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

i have a speedtouch 585 adsl router, also have a switch upstairs with two pc's connected. the switch ip is 192.168.1.67, the two pc's have a default gateway pointing to the switch and static ip's and they network fine. i want to connect the router to the switch so the pc's upstairs have net access and also network with a wireless laptop. plugged the switch into the Ethernet port on the router and it does not see the switch. i have a feeling i have to disable dhcp on the router and assign static ip's ? any help appreciated.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The default gateway has to be the IP address of the router. As long as the IP address of the switch is in the same IP range (subnet) of the LAN you should be ok. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

I didnt think a switch had an IP address since they only operate at layer 2 and use mac. Is that wrong?

P.s i know you get Switch/routers that route once switch many.

WIP: LIFE
  4. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

cheers sparky, i can now see the pc on the lan but can not access the net. will investigate further tomorrow.

5. Sparky

Also make sure the DNS is pointing at the router as well. I think the speedtouch then forwards the DNS requests onto the ISPs DNS servers.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Sparky

You can get a Layer 3 switch and you can generally log into the switch via a web interface as it will have some management capabilities. 8)

7. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Yeah i thought that, was scratching my head there for a moment. :)

WIP: LIFE
  8. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

thats what mine is, via software you can configure each of the 24 ports and even create vlans, a little overkill for what i use it for but for £10 off ebay you can't complain.

9. Sparky

What kinda switch is it mate? You might have to do some config on the switch to get it to talk to your router. Is there an uplink port on it?

10. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

changed the dns server settings and its all working now.
    thanks sparky for the help.