Connecting Remotely.

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok. I have two PC's hooked up to a BT Voyager Router (one via USB and one via Ethernet). I can see the other PC in network places, but im unable to access it. Whenever i try to open it from network places i get an error stating that the network path was not found (happens if i try to open the c$ share too).

Not sure how to resolve this (dont network very often). I have already checked that the username and password on both are the same.

any ideas?

Thanks
    Fergal

EDIT: I can ping the laptop from my desktop fine, but trying it the other way around doesnt work. have tried releasing and renewing the ip on both machines.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I had a friend with the exact same problem. Can the other PC access the internet even though it can't view files ? Also, can you see any network-attached printers ? (Think you can see where I'm going with this ...)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

Sigh, never mind. I renamed the desktop's computer name on the network, and rebooted the machine. all working now.

it could access the net, but i couldnt open the C$ share or any other share. I was trying to get it to work to install a printer over the network.

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Glad you got it sorted, Fergal. Satisfy my curiousity though, will you ? Could both machines access the internet prior to the name change, and if so, how ? I mean were they set up to use ICS or connect directly through the BT kit ? I'm still trying to solve one remaining part of the problem my friend had, and this may be a significant development.

5. Fergal1982

They were both connected through the Router, one using the USB connection and the other using the network connection. Both were picking up IP addresses, but couldnt see each other (took some work to even get a ping response). I didnt really try too much on the internet, since that wasnt what i was trying to achieve to be honest, but i believe that it worked fine. was rather strange. all i did was release/renew the IP of both machines, renamed the computer name on the one i couldnt see, and rebooted, this seemed to resolve the problem.

what're the symptoms you are having?

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Pretty much the same as you say, Fergal - could access the net and ping fine, but no go with file or printer sharing. I think my friend ended up formatting, despite my advice, but I will check with him. Never even thought about renaming the machine ...

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

In order for two computers to be able to share resources you need to configure the following.

They both need a unique correctly set up NetBIOS name

They both need to be in the same workgroup

They both need to be in the same IP subnet.

They need to have the File and Printer sharing component added to their network connection.

They both need a user account with the same name and password.

As file and printer sharing and Network Neighbourhood uses NetBIOS, make sure that you have ticked *use NetBIOS over TCP/IP* in your TCP/IP advanced >WINS properties.

If after doing this you still have no joy, then you are probably facing the olde XP firewall (or any other firewall) blocking the communication.

Or Norton, which blocks everything except malware and viruses :twisted:

So, disable any firewalls until you have established proper communication.

You may also get some joy out of configuring the LMHOSTS and the HOSTS file if your IP scheme is static.

Don't think I missed anything but feel free to add if I have :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)