Connecting linux client to samba domain

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by beaker, Apr 4, 2008.

1. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

Hi,
    I have an ubuntu server working as a samba domain controller and about 10 Windows XP clients. Users log in with username and password and have their profiles stored on the server and also can access shares on the server (assuming they have permission to).

Now I want to add an Ubuntu client to the network so it works in the same way, ie user logs in and it loads the user profile from the server and accesses the samba shares with correct samba permissions. Any tips on doing this?

I take i just use the 'net join' command to join the pc and create local users on the ubuntu client that match up with the samba users?

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryWinbindHowto seems to explain how to do what you want for Activedirectory domain, I assume it will be a similar process for a samba domain controller?

Its a bit of a daunting setup, but i read through it quickly and as far as i can make out once its all setup you login with " DOMAIN+username "

Then again I know absolutely squat about domains :) I am a keen user of ubuntu thou and thought id do a quick search to help.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

beaker,

For some reason I hadn't seen this request for help. I've played with Samba inside Active Directory, but never set it up as PDC. I'd just make sure you have kerberos(the MIT version) installed on the client, and use a packet sniffer such as ethereal, i.e. wireshark, to take a look at the network traffic to see where the authentication is failing. Also, if you're using Gnome as your gui you need to install the samba-common and samba client packages on the Linux client.

That's about all the help I can give you as it's been a couple of years since I played with Samba and don't have any available servers to put a Samba install on right now either. Every machine I have is pretty much at capacity with all the things I have running already on them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

thanks for the replies, i didn't get any from the ubuntu community when i posted it in their forums. I'm not using A.D., i just have the one Linux server, but that link did give me some ideas to try so thanks again

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA