connecting laptop to tv

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Sally, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Sally

Sally Bit Poster

Hi, dont know if this is right place to post this....

I have been asked if there is anyway i can connect my sis's laptop to their tv, so that she can view a powerpoint application on the tv.....?

she has a video out on her laptop, but not sure what leads/connectors she will need to get and having trouble finding out! or even whether this is possible........???? any ideas anybody??

WIP: a+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its entirely possible. I used to do it all the time to view my DVD's. I have a couple of cables that jack into my coax connection on the laptop, and the sound, and then connect into a scart adapter which i plug into the TV. You should be able to pick this up from the likes of dixons, etc. Just make sure the model sports the appropriate connection - the manual (or manufacturers website) will tell you this!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Sally

Sally Bit Poster

thank you for that... looks like i'll just have to take a trip to dixons and such like and see if they can help me find the correct cable......

many thanx

WIP: a+
  4. wharsmetoothpicson

wharsmetoothpicson New Member

hey! Im kinda new to this so don't have a clue what im doing! I had to get a s-video to rca adaptor because having a direct connection meant using a 4-pin cable in my 7-pin port which left me with a black and white picture. However when I connect the video line of a 3 rca-3 rca into the adaptor and the other into the tv the computer wont recognise that the tv is connected. Is a 3 rca-3 rca cable the correct cable to use? Im so confuddled! :blink

5. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

I have been doing this also for years, also from my desktop pc to tv.

I found that some cables, especially higher quality ones, only produced black and white pictures. I had more luck with the cheaper cables from a computer show. Usually an s-vhs plug to a scart plug.

Also beware that some software dvd players won't play dvd's properly this way dues to copy protection, or macrovision. I have problems using Windows Media player to show dvds on the tv, the picture is just black. Other formats such as VCD and Xvid worked okay, not that I advocate use of such formats to watch copyrighted material. Power Dvd seems to display for me. There are some software apps that help bypass the macrovision protection but I never really got any working.

Any questions though just ask as I have dealt with several problems in the past and resolved them.

Certifications: An M.O.T.
    WIP: Hopefull MCAD and MCSD