Connecting a Server to a PC

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ioannoug, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Ioannoug

Ioannoug New Member

Hello all,

Just joined.

Could anyone point me in the right direction in connecting a Standalone 2003 SQL server to a PC which are on a wireless Network.

Thks

G

2. jtaaron

jtaaron Banned

the server should be connected to the computer directly, the server should be the main node instead of a router, hub or switch etc.

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi Ioannoug and jtaaron, welcome to CF.

In order to help with this issue more background information would be needed Ionannoug. Is the SQL server a standalone server, can you describe the network in which it resides (if it does), is it a member of a domain?

If the PC has a wireless NIC then it should be able to connect to the server in whichever way you want to connect it (this again depends on the structure of your network). The only problem you may have is logging onto the PC if it's a member of a domain. Only certain wireless cards will allow a full connection to the network before the logon has taken place.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't agree, are you suggesting he connect another wireless device to the server and then link the two devices in adhoc mode?

Even if you are not suggesting this, there would be no problem with the network traffic between the server and client going via a switch or a hub. It would be highly unusual for it not too ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

I agree with Modey, there are alot of industry/business applications based on SQL that run on wireless laptops.

I also agree with modey questions here, Ioannoug what do you mean by connecting? Is it a application using SQL? Or is it that you want to use SQL that's installed on the server via your laptop?

jtaaron, pop by the new members introduction part of the forum and introduce yourself :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security