connecting a 2950 to a 3750

Discussion in 'Networks' started by theITguy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. theITguy

theITguy Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have been given the job of connecting two switches together at work. One is a cisco 2950sx and a cisco 3750G. They both have Vlans configured on them. I have to use one of the copper 100 base ports becuase we do not have the correct fibre cables here and its urgent. I think I have to create a trunk link/uplink port on both switches and then connect them together via a corssover. The thing is im not 100% sure how to configure these and the commands required. Could anyone help me :blink

Thanks

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

conf t
    int x/x
    switch trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switch mode trunk
    no shut

Pretty much that on both switches should bring it up.....why don't you check your other trunk port configs though to make sure (if you have any!)?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

The commands are straight forward enough:

Under the interface:
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk noneg
    switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y,z

On the 3750 you may need the additional command first
    switchport trunk encap dot1q

Slap the cable in and your link should be up. Obviously x,y,z should be substituted for a list of your vlans you want to traverse the trunk. If you don't run that command it will default to all vlans.

The following command will verify once it's up.

show int trunk

Is 100mb sufficient? If you have multiple ports on both switches available etherchannel will give you more bandwidth if you need it.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. theITguy

theITguy Bit Poster

Thanks guys much appreciated