Connect 2 laptops to one tel line

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Freedom, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Freedom

Freedom New Member

I have 2 laptops and one telephone line for wireless broadband and one router.
    Question:
    Can I connect both laptops; but one only online at a time to be used online, if I load the same identical broadband Orange software to access the internet on each laptop ?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you have more than one splitter then connecting both to the phone line shouldn't be a problem, I am not sure about the software though, but that shouldn't be an issue I reckon.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hi Freedom, welcome to certforums.

In regards to your question. Yes you can connect them both - one at a time or both.

I'm going to guess you have not tried to use the wireless yet..

When you install the software, you will use it to "search" for wireless networks. You may see/pickup more than just your own wireless connection, which will likely be called Orange-something.

There are no restrictions on how many computers/laptops that can be configured to use the wireless network, though there will likely be a limit on how many users the router can handle - however, this shouldn't be an issue.

So basically, you can configure both the laptops to use this network AND, if you so wish, both can use it at the one time.

In regards to what GBL posted, the splitter won't have anything to do with it. Splitters are only to seperate a phone line with the ADSL part of the line i.e. you don't even need the splitter unless you wish to have a telephone as well as the broadband. From there on the number of connections available is dependent on the router specifications.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was thinking that the phone line might be needed, but if he doesn't want a phone line then you are correct Dave.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ugh yea, but I'm not saying he doesn't need it. I'm just saying, regardless of how many wireless connections he wants, he only needs the one splitter. I explained what it does and gave the example of not needing the telephone line to try and make it a bit clearer.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Yes, but why would you want to do that if you have got a router?

P.s I may have picked you question up wrong.

WIP: LIFE
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I agree with whats said above. Just connect the wireless router to the phone line with your ADSL filter, and then both laptops will be able to pick the broadband up wirelessly.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house