confusion between groups, profiles and accounts

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by becks4eva, Jan 17, 2010.

1. becks4eva

becks4eva Bit Poster

Again, i will be writing my MCDST exams soon and another area that confuses me alittle is the difference between:

• Local groups in Widows XP (8? - e.g. Everyone, Authenticated Users, Terminal service Users)
    • Local User Profiles (3 - Default Users, All Users, Individual Users)
    • Profile Types (3 - Mandatory, Roaming, Temporary)
    • Local User Acounts (3 - Administrator, Guest, Limited)
    • Types of local accounts (2 - User accounts and Group accounts)
    • Windows XP groups (9 - e.g. Administrators, Power Users, Remote Desktop Users, HelpServiceGroups)

How do you distinguish them apart?
    How can you tell which ones a user belongs too?
    Which ones are in place on workgrounds, domains etc?

Basically, Who's who in the zoo?

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCDST
  2. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Local groups - These are groups which a local to the machine. Everyone is every user account. Authenticated users are users who have signed in. Terminal service users are users who can log onto machines remotely.(Terminal services is outside the scope of MCDST)

Local User profiles - Again profiles local to the machine. Default user profile is cloned when a new user is created on the machine give them their own individual user profile. All user profile is used when you want something to be shared amongst all the profiles on the computer i.e. you want a short-cut to be available for all users you place this in the all user profiles

Profile types: roaming profiles are used in domains when you want a users profile to follow them to which ever computer the user logs onto, essential the profile is stored on a server somewhere and it gets downloaded when a user logs on.

Mandatory profiles are used to enforce standards so all users have the same profile which doesn't change no matter what changes the user makes i.e. you configure a mandatory profile for all users, when a user logs on and lets say they delete something in this profile such a short cut this doesn't get saved so next time they log on again they will have the original mandatory profile which you configured. To configure mandatory profiles change ntuser.dat to ntuser.man

local user accounts - Administrator is all powerful account its at the top of the hierarchy on a computer that is in a domain, can make changes that affect the whole system etc, try make other users limited(standard) users instead as they will have reduced rights but still able to function.

Guest user account is essential at the bottom of the pile as it has less rights than a standard account, personally I wouldn't user this account unless if maybe I had users who I didn't know who had to log onto a machine, this account type is not available in domains.

Groups- Instead of assigning permissions/rights to users individually consider grouping users who will be performing similar tasks into groups, then assign permissions to groups which will trickle down to users of group. Administrator group is for administrators have the rights which were mention before.

Power users can do several things such as, create users and groups, make changes to the system and some more things, they are like weaker versions of administrators(power user group can only be created locally not on domains, double check).

Remote Desktop Users are users who are allowed to connect to an XP pro machine with the remote desktop connection wizard, its essentially connecting to a machine remotely.

I would advice you to get the MS self paced book for 70-271 as it covers most of these topics.

3. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for such a great write up, Its also a good question. I'll be revising this for my Mcdst exam, I couldnt add anymore to this. Apart from get the 271/272 book it helps a lot and helps a lot more when a forum member goes out there way to help :) thanks

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  4. dv-ant

dv-ant Bit Poster